• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

pathfinderq1

First Post
Flynn moved aside to let Blaise get past, then glanced warily out towards the exit. He dropped the fouled pistol into his satchel- no time to fool with it now. Luckily he had other options...

He drew his cutlass and held it ready- just in case. And he kept another pistol in his other hand- it made him feel better, though it might not do much against those creatures.

"You know, there are some island folk who dry seaweed and eat it as a snack. Wonder what they would think of these beasties?"

OOC: Ready action to attack if the seaweed critters approach, using cutlass for slashing damage

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: So [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] I need you to start using die rollers like everyone else in this game. I tried to be polite and suggest you do that before, but it really isn't fair for you to be posting results like you have been. Having full transparency with the dice is important both on my end as GM and your end as players, so from now on I require you use either http://www.coyotecode.net/ OR http://www.orokos.com like everyone else.

GM: So it's your turn [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]. Also [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] did you see what peterka99 was saying about Blaise having a Bardic Inspiration die (d6) that he could spend to try to make his attack hit? You rolled an 11 vs. AC 14, so it might change it so you can pull off your stunt.

Quickleaf

Legend
A pirate knows that some backs break and others bend. Etienne's grappling of the animated chain, pinning a coil of links in place with a jagged stone, pulls Old Zef clear of the writhing black tentacles. It also buys Blaise the time he needs to make good on Katerina del Corazon's command.

His boots sliding across the burnt remains of the green algae slime, Blaise finds purchase against the far wall, feet pressing off of it to spring over the momentarily hunched Nia as she regains her footing from having the dwarf Old Zef yanked into her. When they say Old Zef is a barrel of laughs, now Nia knows that he weighs like one too. Breath, exhale, focus. Blaise is a whirlwind of motion down the tunnel, his next step finding Old Zef's bald pate as the dwarf struggles to his feet. Leaving a slimy mark on the top of Old Zef's head, Blaise dives forward into the heart of the writhing black tentacles, in full extension like a lunging jaguar.

Sword and chain link clash, the clang so loud it is deafening, the spark so bright it momentarily blinds onlookers. For a moment it seems Blaise will be engulfed, but then the darkness enchanting the room is dispelled, the tentacles writhing back into the shadowy recesses of the chamber, slipping away from view. The chain is broken.

For now at least, you have bested the traps set upon Francois L'Ollonais' treasure.

From Flynn's keen-eyed vantage point, the seaweed monsters are thoroughly distracted with the worm carcasses, and shouldn't be any trouble unless trying to move past them.

There's just the matter of the large treasure chest, 3 demi-culverins, and swivel gun...

GM: So, [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] I didn't realize it, but Blaise would have to move 45 feet to change position from the corridor where the seaweed monsters are to the treasure/tentacles chamber. Normally that would mean you couldn't move-and-attack in the same turn. However...

I'm ruling it as a "yes, but..." Yes, you get to make the attack, but I'm giving the tentacles a free shot at you for your devil-may-care move. ;)

Black tentacles improvised attack vs. Blaise (AC 19) _: 1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18 Miss!

GM: There's no immediate threat (unless you decide to engage the seaweed monsters), so no need to follow initiative for now. This is just where we left off...

Initiative

Player Group A (go in any order you like)
✓Blaise 15
✓Flynn 14
✓Katerina 14
Nia 13

Mysterious Monsters 13
Awakened Seaweed 12

Player Group B (go in any order you like)
Old Zef 11
✓Etienne 10

Monster Stats
Awakened Seaweed AC 9, hp 10 dead / 10 dead / 10 / 10 / ?…

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Nia coughs, and works her arms, trying to get air back into her constricted lungs and soothe the ache in her crushed muscles.

"Beware," she intones, motioning at the culverin. "'Dere was someting dat fled into one of dese."

She waves a hand over her staff and chants an invocation, summoning a dark and vengeful spirit to take momentary respite in the old wood of the weapon. It turns black, and grows cruel barbs and thorns as she warily eyes the rusted old cannon, making ready to swing should that little goopy thing re-emerge.

(Casting shilleghlehsdhhd and readying action to attack if that ooze pops out and says hi)

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Etienne may have splatted a gray ooze with a rock. It was hard to tell in the chaos, and there may be more than one.

Also [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], kindly make a DC 13 Arcana check (you can use Intelligence, Charisma, or Wisdom for this check, your choice)...invoking a dark and vengeful spirit in this place of wicked magic could have an interesting twist if you do not succeed.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Always attach interesting flavor text to everything. :) I swear I'm not trying to screw you over.

The light stone that was dropped flickers, casting distorted shadows along the walls. Even as Nia whispers the words of magic over her staff, she can feel a dark presence. Not like the djab inhabiting The Coral Curse, at least not something so old and primordial, but wholly malevolent nevertheless. In the strange shadows the head of her staff appears to be carved to resemble the likeness of a wolf-eel hybrid, growling in whispered French, "Rrrr... Thieves! Interlopers! English dogs! None of you is safe, and my curse shall come to you each in the dead of night till every single piece of my treasure is pried from cold bloody fingers...Rrrr..."

Remove ads