D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

peterka99

First Post
OOC: A Rabaska fits 10 people. There is room enough for the treasure and us. Etienne casts a spell to hasten the departure; it works for 1 hour, so he will paddle faster later. My athletics roll was to clear the kelp by tearing and pulling the way Etienne did with the Indians, not yet for paddling.

If you don't want an encounter, just assume the canoe went back faster. If we should expect trouble, an advantage on craft (canoe) roll based on strenght will rock.

Quickleaf

Legend
With the canoe loaded, the work turns to clearing the kelp before the incoming tide makes clearing the low lip of the sea cave a problem. Etienne is no stranger to this work, however, and with Blaise's help they have the oarlocks and oars cleared of clinging kelp. For a moment, Blaise sees a nebulous feminine shape beckoning to him beneath the waters, but upon taking a closer look he finds nothing there.

At last you're ready to push off, and with weight evenly distributed, Katerina just needs to bow her head ever so slightly so her hat clears under the mouth of the cave, the feather in her hat kissing the stony edge. The waters around eastern New Providence Island glow like honey in the setting sun. An hour of steady easy rowing brings you back to Nassau harbor with your treasure as the moon begins to rise above the Caribbean. Drunken pirates, like ghosts, stagger along the pier in between casting fishing lines and playing dice games. A few bonfires are visible on the beach. During your paddle, you catch a glimpse of the back side of The Coral Curse, the schooner that soon you will hold title to if all goes well; it sags in the wet sands, tattered upper sails lapping in the breeze like dangling nooses.

"Blackbeard" will be expecting you in the old territorial governor's estate. It's evident, however, that unless something in the treasure haul is a collector's item or powerful magic, the monies are nowhere near the value of a merchantman like The Coral Curse, even accounting for the ship's disrepair.

peterka99

First Post
OOC: Time to heal our characters (Etienne and Zef). Is paddling considered a short rest ?

A short rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.
[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION], Etienne or Flynn may sing a song of rest to give you an extra 1d6 healing if you spend some healing dice.

Matthan

Explorer
Blaise is mostly quiet during the trip back to the harbor. He offers his help with the rowing, but doesn't say much until they near the harbor. "Captain, I do not mean to speak out of turn, but I do have one concern for this treasure. A few coins and funny drinks are no great loss to give up for a ship. Even if the whole lot was enchanted, they probably aren't worth more than a ship even if that ship has a djab. My curiosity is piqued by that book though. Knowledge can be more valuable than silver or gold. Perhaps we should make sure we understand what exactly we are handing over?"

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: No [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] paddling is not a short rest for a paddler. I'm imagining the rabaska canoe requires 4 paddlers? So conceivably anyone not paddling could gain a short rest because there's no pressure – just enjoying the ride and the sunset.

But taking an hour with Blackbeard to chat and drink, or just plan amongst yourselves at Blackreef's could easily be a short rest too.

Matthan

Explorer
OOC: I don't suppose we spotted any kind of shallow cove or similar on our way back where we could safely stop and discuss our next move without hauling treasure through a town full of thieves and scoundrels?

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Yep [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] New Providence Island is notorious for countless little coves and bays. Finding something that fits that description should be easy for your party.

But when you look at the treasure – it's not that bulky or obvious. I mean, you divvied up 2,000 maravedi (coppers), and all together they weigh ~40 lbs (standard coin weight in D&D is 50 coins to 1 lb.), and everything else could easily be passed off as personal belongings.

Matthan

Explorer
"Etienne, there's a small cove up ahead, can you steer us towards it? We need a quiet place to talk about what we have away from the gossips that would see us robbed."

As the canoe banks towards the cove, Blaise continues his earlier thought, "It's not just the book. The trinkets could have properties beyond what can be plainly seen. My knowledge of magic is minimal. Is anyone able to tell us if what we have found has magic, bound spirits, or the like? The more we know, the better off we'll be when we meet Blackbeard."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina nodded her agreement with Blaise. "I assume at least the bottles are magical potions. We used to have someone on our ship," her voice faltered slightly at the reference before she continued, "Who created such items for us."

Then she broke into a cocky grin. "Plus Zef informed us that the bottles and the book are magical. So there's that."

"I actually wanted Zef to take a look at the book and see if he could read it or... use it somehow. Or at least figure out what it is. Perhaps even Nia could take a look? We should know before we hand it over."

Remove ads