Spell Idea-Blasting many undead (1 more Judge Vote needed!)

Creamsteak

Explorer
Spell compendium has some other spells in a similar vein:

[sblock=Light of Lunia]LIGHT OF LUNIA
Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Celestia 1, cleric 1, sorcerer/
wizard 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target and Effect: You and up to
two rays; see text
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D) or
until discharged; see text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes; see text
The silvery radiance created by this spell emanates from you in a 30-foot radius, and dim light extends for an additional 30 feet. Beginning one turn after you cast this spell, you can choose to expend some or all of the light of Lunia as a ray of light. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray to strike a target. You can make a single ranged touch attack that deals 1d6 points of damage, or 2d6 points of damage against undead or evil outsiders, with a range of 30 feet. Spell resistance applies to this attack. This dims your silvery radiance to half (15-foot light, with dim light for an additional 15 feet). You can choose to fire one additional ray with the same characteristics either on the same round or on a subsequent round. Firing the second ray quenches your radiance and ends the spell.

LIGHT OF MERCURIA
Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Cleric 2, sorcerer/wizard 2
This spell functions like light of Lunia, except that the radiance created is golden. Your light rays deal 2d6 points of damage, or 4d6 points of damage against undead and evil outsiders.

LIGHT OF VENYA
Evocation [Good, Light]
Level: Cleric 3, sorcerer/wizard 3
This spell functions like light of Lunia, except that a softy pearly radiance is created. Your light rays deal 3d6 points of damage, or 6d6 points of damage against undead and evil outsiders. Alternatively, you can choose for the ray to heal 1d6 points of damage + your divine spellcaster level (maximum 1d6+10) to a living, non-evil creature.
[/sblock][sblock=Nimbus of Light]NIMBUS OF LIGHT
Evocation [Light]
Level: Cleric 1, Purification 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 minute/level or until
discharged (D)
The nimbus of light around you glows like a lantern, providing bright illumination in a 30-foot radius (and shadowy illumination for an additional 30 feet) from you. As a move action, you can coalesce the energy from a nimbus of light around your outstretched arm, and then as a standard action fling it toward a foe within 30 feet. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack with the energy to strike a target. A nimbus of light deals 1d8 points of damage +1 point per round that has elapsed since you cast the spell (maximum 1d8 + caster level). Attacking with a nimbus of light ends the spell, whether your ranged touch attack is successful or not.[/sblock]

Those might also be worth mentioning for comparison.

Also: Eww, I don't like the Light of Venya. It's just odd. You add "your divine spellcaster level" instead of your caster level (I guess to make it weaker for Sor/Wiz), but because you fire two bolts it's really +2 per divine caster level. So at 10th caster level it heals 2d6+20 (27 average) only affecting non-evil characters. Whereas a cure serious (same level) would only heal 22.5, and is touch range. Just awkward overall.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Spell Compendium has a lot of badly edited or balanced spells (including Wraithstrike), so we shouldn't consider it a gold standard. Fortunately, none of the ones you listed is too bad, but Light of Mercuria is overpowered compared to Scorching Ray for caster levels 3 through 6 (though it then becomes worse and eventually much worse).

Creamsteak

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Spell Compendium has a lot of badly edited or balanced spells (including Wraithstrike), so we shouldn't consider it a gold standard. Fortunately, none of the ones you listed is too bad, but Light of Mercuria is overpowered compared to Scorching Ray for caster levels 3 through 6 (though it then becomes worse and eventually much worse).

Well the point of posting them is for comparison obviously. I didn't imply anything about them being a "standard" of any sort.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Creamsteak said:
Well the point of posting them is for comparison obviously. I didn't imply anything about them being a "standard" of any sort.
Right, of course. The trouble, of course, would come if you posted a spell from SC and someone said 'Since our proposed spell is weaker than the spell from SC, it must be OK'

jaker2003

Explorer
Okay, no problem axing the cure option.
So, this is the current version.

Light of the North Tower
Evocation [Light]
Level: Clr 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: Light in your palm
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Spell Resistance: Yes
A soft glow appears in your open hand shedding bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
In addition to providing illumination, you can direct rays of light against undead. You can project these rays up to 120 feet by making a ranged touch attack. If the ray hits an undead creature, it deals damage equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack resolves.
A light spell (one with the light descriptor) counters and dispels a darkness spell (one with the darkness descriptor) of an equal or lower level.

If everyone thinks this is acceptable, then I just need LEW Judge approval. How many judges do I need to approve this? 3, 5, all?

Bront

The man with the probe
With the one use droping the durration, it seems much more like a L1 spell. I was fine with it as an L2 that didn't expire with each use..

jaker2003

Explorer
So, this is the current version.

Light of the North Tower
Evocation [Light]
Level: Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: Light in your palm
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Spell Resistance: Yes
A soft glow appears in your open hand shedding bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
In addition to providing illumination, you can direct rays of light against undead. You can project these rays up to 120 feet by making a ranged touch attack. If the ray hits an undead creature, it deals damage equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack resolves.
A light spell (one with the light descriptor) counters and dispels a darkness spell (one with the darkness descriptor) of an equal or lower level.

If everyone thinks this is acceptable, then I just need LEW Judge approval. How many judges do I need to approve this? 3, 5, all?

orsal

LEW Judge
jaker2003 said:

You need three more ayes than nays. So, if there is no dissent, then 3 judge approvals will be enough.

Remove ads