Spell Idea-Blasting many undead (1 more Judge Vote needed!)

B4cchus

Explorer
I think this is close to an approvel. I have two questions, however:
Why is the casting time a swift action? I think it's because you can immediately shoot rays in the first round (which is fine by me) and also what kind of action is shooting a ray? I figure it'd be a standard action but the description doesn't state this.

I suggest changing the casting time to a standard action and require a move-equivalent action (as directing a spell) to shoot a ray out of it.

Bront

The man with the probe
It's an attack action, since it's an attack. Just like the druid spell it's loosely based off of, since you're using it like a weapon. It also means you can use itterative attacks to fire off multiples.

B4cchus

Explorer
I was thinking more along the line of spiritual weapon but actually attacking sounds ok as well.
I don't think that the spell should have a casting time of a swift action, however.

jaker2003

Explorer
I suppose it doesn't need to be Swift if it has this longer duration.
[sblock=Current Version]
Light of the North Tower
Evocation [Light]
Level: Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: Light in your palm
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
A soft glow appears in your open hand shedding bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
In addition to providing illumination, you can direct rays of light against undead. You can project these rays up to 120 feet by making a ranged touch attack. If the ray hits an undead creature, it deals damage equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack resolves.
A light spell (one with the light descriptor) counters and dispels a darkness spell (one with the darkness descriptor) of an equal or lower level.[/sblock]
Wait, if this is a light spell that deals damage, shouldn't it deal one die larger damage against undead that are vulnerable to light or the maximum raised to +10 against them or something?

jaker2003

Explorer
Bront said:
you could double the damage vs undead vulnerable to light...
Do you mean:
(*) 2d6+CL (max +5) or
(*) 2d6+CL (max +10) or
(*) (1d6)x2+CL (max +5) or
(*) (1d6+CL)x2 (max +5) or
(*) (1d6)x2+CL (max +10)?

jaker2003

Explorer
[sblock=Current Version]
Light of the North Tower
Evocation [Light]
Level: Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: Light in your palm
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
A soft glow appears in your open hand shedding bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
In addition to providing illumination, you can direct rays of light against undead. You can project these rays up to 120 feet by making a ranged touch attack. If the ray hits an undead creature, it deals damage equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). An undead creature particularly vulnerable to bright light takes twice the listed damage. Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack resolves.
A light spell (one with the light descriptor) counters and dispels a darkness spell (one with the darkness descriptor) of an equal or lower level.[/sblock]I guess that covers all my powergaming possibilities, so I'm just waiting for LEW judge approval/condemnation.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Just note that it's double damage instead of spelling it out. A crit shouldn't double the double, it should just move it to a triple per normal.

Remove ads