• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell-Like Ability confusion?

sledged

First Post
hong said:
How do you figure out what a given SLA does? By looking up the spell description.
How do you figure out the components, the focus, XP cost, and the time required to activate a SLA? By looking up the rules governing SLAs.

hong said:
The one is part of the other. Therefore, when the SRD refers to "ability description", it implicitly includes a reference to the spell.
As I said before, not everything governing the usage of an SLA is tied in with the spell discription.

hong said:
Did you have a point, or were you just happy to see me?
Just a minor counterpoint to debunk your statement that everything is determined by the spell discription... and I was happy to see you.

Mulkhoran said:
One more time:
A spell like ability has a casting time of 1 standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability or spell description.
So, you want to know how long it takes to use, you look at the ability description. Doesn't say? Ok, you go look a the spell description, under casting time.

"unless noted otherwise in the ability or spell description"
Let me point out that (a) I specifically said "according to the SRD and the All About Spell-Like Abilities article," and (b) the previous quote you pulled from the rules is out of the PHB.

hong

WotC's bitch
sledged said:
How do you figure out the components, the focus, XP cost, and the time required to activate a SLA? By looking up the rules governing SLAs.

And this refutes the fact that "ability description" includes "spell description"... how?

As I said before, not everything governing the usage of an SLA is tied in with the spell discription.

See above.

Just a minor counterpoint to debunk your statement that everything is determined by the spell discription... and I was happy to see you.

Oh.

Well, that's all right then.

Last edited:

Mulkhoran

First Post
sledged said:
Let me point out that (a) I specifically said "according to the SRD and the All About Spell-Like Abilities article," and (b) the previous quote you pulled from the rules is out of the PHB.

Well.........yeah. The rulebook. The $30+ rulebook that forms the foundation for the vast majority of people that play D&D, most of whom don't use the SRD, and have never seen ENWorld.

I guess my point comes from the fact that I see the PHB as the Primary Source for D&D rules.

sledged

First Post
hong said:
And this refutes the fact that "ability description" includes "spell description"... how?
Because there are several factors of SLAs that aren't dictated by their relevant spell discription, you shouldn't necessarily assume that "ability description" implicitly includes "spell description."

Mulkhoran said:
I guess my point comes from the fact that I see the PHB as the Primary Source for D&D rules.
Then for you the PHB trumps the other two sources, and the answer becomes perfectly clear:

House rule it different than anything else written thus far! Make the default activation time 2½ rounds!

hong

WotC's bitch
sledged said:
Because there are several factors of SLAs that aren't dictated by their relevant spell discription, you shouldn't necessarily assume that "ability description" implicitly includes "spell description."

What absolute rot.

Where do you suppose I figure out what a fireball SLA does? By checking the equipment chapter?

House rule it different than anything else written thus far! Make the default activation time 2½ rounds!

Rushlight does this better than you.

mikebr99

Explorer
sledged said:

Then for you the PHB trumps the other two sources, and the answer becomes perfectly clear:

sledged, I fail to see why you are arguing w/Hong... other then the fact that you like to see him get his back up.

The question was... does the SLA take the same amount of time as the spell it mimics? And the answer is .... Yes.

Do you agree, or are you trying to refute this?

Mike

Mulkhoran

First Post
sledged said:

"For me."

Yeah, for me, and thousands upon thousands of people that have never seen the SRD, don't buy dragon, and don't use the internet as a source of their D&D information. i.e., *most* of the people that play D&D. Or do you just not believe that?

"House Rule", indeed.

Last edited:

Menexenus

First Post
Hong,
You really need to tone it down, man. You're being the worst kind of rules lawyer right now - the kind that says everyone who disagrees with me is stupid. Please turn your rhetoric down a notch. I'm sorry if you're having a bad day or something, but there's no need to take it out on the rest of us.

Sincerely,

-Menexenus

P.S. I would have reported your abusive comments directly to an administrator, but apparently that function has been disabled.

hong

WotC's bitch
D00d.

VB.gif

Remove ads