• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Questions...

Rashak Mani

First Post
We ran a paragon test session yesterday and my DM is questioning some spell stuff.

2nd Lvl Wizard Utility Spell -> Shield. It says "trigger: You are hit by attack"
Does Shield give you a chance against that very attack that triggered the spell ? Or it will help only against future attacks ?

Paragon path Blood Mage spell lvl 11 -> Blood Pulse text say 1d6 damage for every square enemy leaves. That means only voluntary movement or also being slided, falling off somewhere ?

JGulick

First Post
We ran a paragon test session yesterday and my DM is questioning some spell stuff.

2nd Lvl Wizard Utility Spell -> Shield. It says "trigger: You are hit by attack"
Does Shield give you a chance against that very attack that triggered the spell ? Or it will help only against future attacks ?
It's an Immediate Interrupt, so it goes into effect BEFORE its trigger is concluded and can impact or negate its trigger. Thus, the +4 AC/Ref does apply to the attack that triggers it. See PHB268 for the difference between Interrupts and Reactions.

Paragon path Blood Mage spell lvl 11 -> Blood Pulse text say 1d6 damage for every square enemy leaves. That means only voluntary movement or also being slided, falling off somewhere ?
I have to think "every" means "every". But this has been the subject of extensive debate, especially for large+ creatures.

Mengu

First Post

It will help against the current attack since it is an immediate interrupt. If it was an immediate reaction, it would be only against future attacks.

That's a tough one. It could be read as any kind of movement, though I'm not sure if that's the intent. Bloodpulse, move, action point, thunderwave would be a lot of damage. I would say "enemy leaves" implies voluntary movement, and I would rule that extra damage is caused by voluntary movement only.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads