• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell research: which level should this spell be?

Zebediah Magus

First Post
One of my players wants to develop a version of an existing spell (Dalamar's Lightning Lance, from one of the Dragonlance books), changing the damage type for negative energy.

I tought one level higher was enough, but considering energy resistances and all I tought I should listen to other people's opinions.

So, which level should it be?

Zebediah Magus

First Post
Its an evocation that creates a spear of lightning, dealing 3d6 points of impact or piercing damage (not sure which one) and 1d6/caster level of electricity (10d6 max). At 10th and 15th caster levels you create one more lance. All must be aimed, with a ranged touch attack, at enemies located within 30 feet of each other. It is a 4th level spell.

This spell itself is already very powerful, and might deserve some adjustments. I allowed it as it is, however, so I will keep it for this campaign. But the player wants to research a negative energy version, and such a spell would be even more powerful.

I tought about making it 5th level and reducing the negative energy damage dice to d4.

Still, a 15th level caster, hitting all three times with the ranged touch attacks, would deal 30d4 negative energy damage, plus 9d6 of piercing/impact, almost 40 dive of damage without adding any metamagic...

Jhaelen

First Post
Zebediah Magus said:
One of my players wants to develop a version of an existing spell (Dalamar's Lightning Lance, from one of the Dragonlance books), changing the damage type for negative energy.

I tought one level higher was enough, but considering energy resistances and all I tought I should listen to other people's opinions.

So, which level should it be?
Well, there's the 'Corrupt Spell' metamagic feat in 'Complete Divine' which turns half of a spell's damage into negative energy damage. A corrupted spell uses up a spell slot one level higher.

So, if all the damage is replaced, I'd say it's two levels higher.

DarkJester

First Post
I'm not sure what I think about the spell.

On one side It's 4th level, a ranged touch attack dealing 13d6 damage, with a fortitude save for half damage. Having both a touch attack and saving throw is unusual, but o well. So far, the spell is looking pretty reasonable. It does the extra 3d6 untyped which is nice, a ranged attack and an usual save.

But when you throw in the multiple bolts it gets nasty. I couldn't allow a 10th level caster a spell that does 26d6 damage for a 4th level slot, fortitude save for half or not. That's the ultimate mage slayer spell. I might allow it if the player was limited to throwing one lance per round, or if they were normal attack rolls instead of touch attacks.

In general, I think I would allow a spell to do negative energy damage if I both decreased the damage die and increased the level by one. For example, Fireball > Negative Energy Ball - 1d4/level as a 5th level spell.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
3 things I'd do:

1/ MOVE THIS to HOUSE RULES; and

2/ Spear part deals 3d6 non-magical Piercing damage (crit on 20/x2, modified by spear feats) -- reduced by DR as though it were a weapon, though keep the touch attack part; and

3/ Lightning part deals 1d6/2 levels, max 7d6, and you get multiple spears;
OR
3/ Lightning part deals 1d6/level (max 20d6), and you do NOT get multiple spears.

Cheers, -- N

Zebediah Magus

First Post
Nifft said:
3 things I'd do:

1/ MOVE THIS to HOUSE RULES; and

Nifft, I tought about that when I was writing the original post, but decided to post it here because I was aiming at a spell research question based on an existing spell, and not a fix to the original spell.

Of course, spell reasearch being vague as it is, maybe the other forum is best suited for it.

Thanks for all the feedback, so far I feel like I'll allow the player to reasearch it as a 5th level spell that deals d4 negative energy, or a 6th level with d6.

Last edited:

Slife

First Post
Personally, I think the fact it will be worse than useless against undead prevents it from being more than a +1 adjustment.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Slife said:
Personally, I think the fact it will be worse than useless against undead prevents it from being more than a +1 adjustment.
Really? Would you allow a special version of fireball that doesn't hurt or heal undead as a 2nd level spell?

If not, what's the difference?

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads