• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Resistance

Kerrick

First Post
I was thinking about this again last night, because I've been going over the epic magic items and I really want to get the new SR system in place. I came up with (I think) a much simpler, cleaner rule for this, incorporating a lot of what we've already done.

There are four levels of SR: Minor, moderate, major, and full. (Technically there are six - epic and divine also, but we'll ignore those for the moment.) Each level grants a bonus to saves vs. some spells and spell-like abilities: +2, +4, +6, or +8, respectively.

How this works: If the creature saves against the spell or effect, it has no effect. If the creature fails its save by a number up to its SR bonus, it is treated as having saved normally and takes the lesser effect.

For example: A mage casts a lightning bolt (DC 20) against a balor (major SR, +6 bonus). If the balor's save is 20 or higher, the spell has no effect and the balor takes no damage. If the balor's save is 14-19, it still saves, but it takes half damage as normal.

Converting existing SR to the new system: The simple method is to divide a creature or PC's SR by 4 and round up to the next higher even number to get the save bonus. So, for example, a balor (SR 28) would be +7, rounded up to +8 or Full SR. A character with a mantle of spell resistance (SR 21) would have a +5 bonus, rounded up to +6, or Major SR.

This is the chart I used:

Minor (+2): 1-8

Moderate (+4): 9-16

Major (+6): 17-24

Full (+8): 25-32

Epic (+10): 33-40

Divine (+12): 41+

Sadrik

First Post
I removed SR and basically made it a trait that gives +2 (or more depending on the creatures SR previously) to saves against magic and if they make their save against magic they suffer no effect from the magic. It is sort of like super evasion against magic. The spell penetration feats are deleted.

Remove ads