• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell slots, wizards and sorcerers

JWO

First Post
Maybe I'm being a big dummy but I'm still not totally understanding the new spell slot system. Could someone explain it for me in easier terms please? I think I understand how spontaneous casters work but not prepared casters.

So sorcerers, bards etc., have their spell slots and they can use them up to cast ANY of the spells they know.

How does that differ for wizards and clerics?

Feel free to mock my intelligence as deemed appropriate!

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Wizards and Clerics prepare spells. If one of these classes has 10 spells known and only can prepare 5, the player chooses at the beginning of the day which 5 spells the PC has available. The non-prepared spells are not usable. Only prepared spells are usable. And the player can cast at any given time, any spell of his or her choice as long as s/he has the appropriate spell slot level available to use up.

kbrakke

First Post
Sorcerers, Bards, Warlocks, Arcane Tricksters, Eldritch Knights, and Rangers all have spells slots and spells known. They can cast any of their spells known using their spell slots. Spell slots are regained after a long rest, except for the warlock who gets them on a short rest.

Clerics, Druids and Paladins all know every spell on their lists and can prepare a number of spells each day as list in their class (Cleric/Druid level + wis or Paladin Level/2 + Cha). From the list of spells they prepare they can cast any of them using spell slots which recharge on a long rest. Cleric and Paladins also have some number of Domain/Oath spells which are always prepared and do not count to their prepared spell limit. The druid gets this too if they are a Circle of the Land.

Wizards have a spell book of spells that they have learned. They start with 6 and gain 2 more per level. Additionally they can learn more spells from spell scrolls or other wizard's spell books. From this list of spells they prepare a number each day equal to their Wizard level + INT. From that list of prepared spells they can use spell slots to cast those spells. They recharge on a long rest, and using the arcane recovery feature.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ravenheart87

Explorer
Which part you don't grasp? The big difference for wizards and clerics is that they have to memorize several spells from those available to them (eg. what's on the cleric's spell list, or what's in the wizard's spellbok), so unlike sorcerers, you can build and change your spell list. After that, you can cast memorized spells by spending spell slots. You don't forget the spells like in earlier editions, and the spell lots return after a long rest.

JWO

First Post
Originally I was thinking that wizards memorise their spells in their spell slots but I think that might not be the case. I'm not sure. So originally I was thinking that if a wizard planned on using a more powerful magic missile, they'd have to memorise it in a higher spell slot but am I now right in thinking that they just memorise the spell and choose which level to cast it at when they cast it?

I was also thinking that if a wizard was planning on casting a spell multiple times in a day they'd have to memorise it multiple times as well...I think that's wrong too...

Does memorising spells have nothing to do with spell slots?

MasterTrancer

Explorer
Originally I was thinking that wizards memorise their spells in their spell slots but I think that might not be the case. I'm not sure. So originally I was thinking that if a wizard planned on using a more powerful magic missile, they'd have to memorise it in a higher spell slot but am I now right in thinking that they just memorise the spell and choose which level to cast it at when they cast it?

I was also thinking that if a wizard was planning on casting a spell multiple times in a day they'd have to memorise it multiple times as well...I think that's wrong too...

Does memorising spells have nothing to do with spell slots?

That's how it worked (sort of) in previous editions. In 5E you spend spell slots on a list (dictated by your class, as Others before me have brilliantly exposed). If the slot level is higher than the spell's, you usually (though not often) get an enhanced effect (be it damage, duration, range or some other figure).

JWO

First Post
I think I was confused because I was looking at this from a Pathfinder/3.5 background. I think I get it now though!

Thanks for the help everyone! (and sorry for being dense ¬_¬)

Gadget

Adventurer
First off, Wizards and clerics "prepare" spells. Memorization has been gone for the last couple of editions. To put it simply, the "preparation" casters function almost identically to the "spontaneous" casters (i.e. sorcerers) in this edition with the difference being that they can change out their "known" spells every day for more flexibility.

JWO

First Post
First off, Wizards and clerics "prepare" spells. Memorization has been gone for the last couple of editions. To put it simply, the "preparation" casters function almost identically to the "spontaneous" casters (i.e. sorcerers) in this edition with the difference being that they can change out their "known" spells every day for more flexibility.

Ah yeah, that's actually a really good way of putting it!

Remove ads