Spelljammer [Spelljammer] Illithid to Remain "100% bad guys" -- Neogi maybe not?

Spelljammer was explicitly designed to link the worlds of Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Dragonlance (as well as any homebrew settings). I frankly think that's the least interesting aspect of Spelljammer, but that was one of the main design goals of the (meta)setting.

One of the big factions in 2e Spelljammer was from Kara Tur in the Forgotten Realms.
No it wasn't, it absolutely was not "one of the big factions". They're mentioned as one of the nations involved, but there's no sense they're one of the "big boys" (also it's Shou Lung specifically, not Kara Tur in general). Further they're called out as an example - apparently in general "oriental" [sic] nations throughout the universe have spelljammers, whereas the uncouth Western nations tend not to (ahhh good old '80s and '90s "it's not racist if we say they're better than white people!!!" - the attitude that gave us "WoD: Gypsies" and "Kindred of the East").

As an aside, I love/absolutely hate this entirely bonkers idea that throughout the universe the "western" and "oriental" [sic] paradigm is repeated. Good grief. All you're managing to do here is point out Spelljammer managed to include some old-fashioned lighthearted racism.

There is a pretty famous miniature giant space hamster in the Forgotten Realms.
Yeah, because took it from Spelljammer, you're just proving my point for me.

Skullport in 2e has a shop run by a Giff who arrived by spelljamming and sells smoke powder.
Again busily proving my point about the FR taking Spelljammer and deciding it was "FR property" lol.

Spelljammer 2E was designed to "extend" every campaign setting, including, explicitly, the FR and GH, but the FR is the only setting that decided Spelljammer was part of it, in the inverse direction. That sort of "all-consuming blob" factor with the FR is of course part of why it's so successful. It's like, to paraphrase Rorschach, the the FR isn't locked in with your meta-setting, your meta-setting is locked in with the FR!".

Last edited:

No it wasn't, it absolutely was not "one of the big factions". They're mentioned as one of the nations involved, but there's no sense they're one of the "big boys" (also it's Shou Lung specifically, not Kara Tur in general). Further they're called out as an example - apparently in general "oriental" [sic] nations throughout the universe have spelljammers, whereas the uncouth Western nations tend not to (ahhh good old '80s and '90s "it's not racist if we say they're better than white people!!!" - the attitude that gave us "WoD: Gypsies" and "Kindred of the East").

As an aside, I love/absolutely hate this entirely bonkers idea that throughout the universe the "western" and "oriental" [sic] paradigm is repeated. Good grief. All you're managing to do here is point out Spelljammer managed to include some old-fashioned lighthearted racism.

Yeah, because took it from Spelljammer, you're just proving my point for me.

Again busily proving my point about the FR taking Spelljammer and deciding it was "FR property" lol.

Spelljammer 2E was designed to "extend" every campaign setting, including, explicitly, the FR and GH, but the FR is the only setting that decided Spelljammer was part of it, in the inverse direction. That sort of "all-consuming blob" factor with the FR is of course part of why it's so successful. It's like, to paraphrase Rorschach, the the FR isn't locked in with your meta-setting, your meta-setting is locked in with the FR!".
I think your missing the point which is that the settings have always been linked.

I think your missing the point which is that the settings have always been linked.
And I think you're missing my point that Spelljammer used to be an extension of all settings, and now seems to be a subset of the Forgotten Realms. Of course we'll see once more details on the books emerge.

And I think you're missing my point that Spelljammer used to be an extension of all settings, and now seems to be a subset of the Forgotten Realms. Of course we'll see once more details on the books emerge.
It’s not a subset. The Academy Adventure is taking place in Realmspace. Did you read it even.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
One Setting to rule them all, One Setting to find them, One Setting to bring them all and in the Realms bind them.

Remove ads