Spelljammer [Spelljammer] Illithid to Remain "100% bad guys" -- Neogi maybe not?

Scribe

Legend
personally, it does not work for me as I use the same math to indicate it is morally irrelevant as all life profits from killing other life often in large quantities thus it may be life is by nature immoral, I hate mindflayers because they try to eat me and dying painfully is not on my to-do list, now if the painfully part could be subtracted.
Sure, but we as a species, and especially in developed nations, have a potentially annoying problem.

We have the technical ability to find our nutrition in ways which bypass the need to raise other thinking creatures, which show joy, sadness, affection, memory, only for us to kill and eat them.

But we choose to do so anyway.

Now, if all things are equal and we are chasing down a buffalo on the plains? Well that's different, but we in developed nations have broken out from natural order.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Sure, but we as a species, and especially in developed nations, have a potentially annoying problem.

We have the technical ability to find our nutrition in ways which bypass the need to raise other thinking creatures, which show joy, sadness, affection, memory, only for us to kill and eat them.

But we choose to do so anyway.

Now, if all things are equal and we are chasing down a buffalo on the plains? Well that's different, but we in developed nations have broken out from natural order.
have you seen the number of ways we kill life to ensure we have a viable harvest? Besides science suggest even plants have some level of cognition what is the cut off? what makes it moral to kill anything? simple answer there never was one.

Scribe

Legend
have you seen the number of ways we kill life to ensure we have a viable harvest? Besides science suggest even plants have some level of cognition what is the cut off? what makes it moral to kill anything? simple answer there never was one.
Again, I'll just disagree.

When we were part of the natural order, it's simply part of survival.

Most of us on this site, no longer are, I would imagine, and that extrapolates to everyone online.

Most of us do not grow our food.
Most of us do not hunt, or fish, or gather.

Most of us subsist on food produced on mega farms, or on livestock that is raised, start to finish, for the expressed purpose of being slaughtered so that I can cook up a steak on my barbeque whenever I please.

That's far far different, from the moral/ethical position of a hunter/gatherer. :)

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
We are not very different from Mind Flayers. We enjoy a certain level of cruelty to flavor our meals. Veal and lamb are raised in horrific conditions, but they are delicious.

TheRonyon

Villager
Because I savor flesh but detest taking the lives of the innocent, I only eat carnivores and parasites, because eating a lion is like stealing from a thief...

Richards

Legend
I had no idea I was going to stumble into a conversation today where mentioning Toto* Coelo's song "I Eat Cannibals" was going to be so appropriate, but here we are.

*They went by the name "Total Coelo" in the US so they wouldn't get mixed up with the band "Toto."

Johnathan

Vaalingrade

Legend
It's kind of funny that the game draws the line to the point of obsession with eating sapients, and yet wearing and drinking them as magic items and rare potion components is A-OK.

No it's Mirt the Moneylender. Mirt the Merciless is another title of his. Also the Spelljammer Academy Adventure is outright stated to start in the Forgotten Realms, which has always been connected to the Spelljammer (Realmspace was a book for a reason)
Good lord. I guess the FR does eat all other settings. I'm aware that the FR has been trying to integrate SJ since 2E. Realmspace was a book, but that doesn't justify it, that just provides an example.

Voadam

Legend
Good lord. I guess the FR does eat all other settings. I'm aware that the FR has been trying to integrate SJ since 2E. Realmspace was a book, but that doesn't justify it, that just provides an example.

There is a lot more than the Realmspace book.

One of the big factions in 2e Spelljammer was from Kara Tur in the Forgotten Realms.

There is a pretty famous miniature giant space hamster in the Forgotten Realms.

Skullport in 2e has a shop run by a Giff who arrived by spelljamming and sells smoke powder.

Voadam

Legend
"There are more social contacts as well. In the city of Waterdeep in the Realms, there is a record of a merchant in a flying ship landing in the harbor and offering smoke powder at a reasonable price. The sudden detonation of that powder in the harbor ended the transaction and the ship, though the helm survived and was returned by the sea elves of the harbor to its rightful owner. An investigation by Lord Khelben and the Lords of Waterdeep found no foul play involved in the accidental detonation, but since then, no one has tried bulk importing of smoke powder into the Realms."

Lorebook of the Void from the first boxed set page 51.

Remove ads