• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Spelljammer Shows Up In The Wild - Check Out The Tables of Contents

Copies of Spelljammer are starting to show up. Mike Long of Tribality is in receipt of the books and has tweeted some photos!

Copies of Spelljammer are starting to show up. Mike Long of Tribality is in receipt of the books and has tweeted some photos!

2.jpeg

052C4CBE-625B-4E6A-8005-D549BB9BC634.jpeg

31C64296-9C83-406C-B915-BA6C3305CE25.jpeg

1.jpeg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I still maintain that they don't need to happen eventually (well, I mean eventually-eventually, maybe, but not now-eventually).

Not when they keep reporting record profits each quarter. But then, some people are fine with the idea that corporations need to keep growing profits. I am not. I think they need to stay profitable, sure, but I think that sustained growth is a folly that will only lead to eventual collapse.

It's Oroboros and it's eating its own tail. Nom nom.
Well, they haven't changed their pri ing scheme in 8 years. Since 2014, there has been 25.2% inflation, so something that cost $49.99 in 2014.would be expected to cost $62.57 in 2022...and in fact, my.FLGS has a preorder discount which brought Spelljammer down to $63, which suggests to me that this is inflation catching up. Sooner or later the price of ink and transportation will destroy the profit for WotC and stores entirely if inflation is ignored.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
What was the deal with the Sun un Athas back in the day? I always thought the "Dark Sun" was metaphorical or a low light old star or something.
If I remember the lore right, in ancient times the wizards of the world tapped the sun itself to power their magic and it altered the sun. Making it go a darker red (hence the name), but also be more intense, altering the environment. That's one of the keys to Dark Sun, I think. Magic is powered by something. You need to find a source. Animal life, plant life, the sun, etc. All have been used to power magic in the setting. Most famously the defilers drawing life energy from plants and destroying them, thus furthering the environmental degradation.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Well, they haven't changed their pri ing scheme in 8 years. Since 2014, there has been 25.2% inflation, so something that cost $49.99 in 2014.would be expected to cost $62.57 in 2022...and in fact, my.FLGS has a preorder discount which brought Spelljammer down to $63, which suggests to me that this is inflation catching up. Sooner or later the price of ink and transportation will destroy the profit for WotC and stores entirely if inflation is ignored.
IME raising prices to "combat inflation" on non-essentials (like D&D books) just makes it so that less people can afford to buy them, and the books will sell worse. Inflation is already hitting EVERYTHING ELSE that our customers need to buy. They're already struggling to justify buying a new D&D book.

WotC is clearly making up for keeping their price point by moving volume (or they wouldn't be seeing record profits all the time). It's a back-and-forth. As long as the product is priced reasonably, you keep moving them, therefore you can keep the price down, and so on.

But like I said, at least this price-hike comes with a format change. That eases the blow, as there's perceived value in the format (even if it comes with some increased production cost).

IME raising prices to "combat inflation" on non-essentials (like D&D books) just makes it so that less people can afford to buy them, and the books will sell worse. Inflation is already hitting EVERYTHING ELSE that our customers need to buy. They're already struggling to justify buying a new D&D book.

WotC is clearly making up for keeping their price point by moving volume (or they wouldn't be seeing record profits all the time). It's a back-and-forth. As long as the product is priced reasonably, you keep moving them, therefore you can keep the price down, and so on.

But like I said, at least this price-hike comes with a format change. That eases the blow, as there's perceived value in the format (even if it comes with some increased production cost).

Price increases are always annoying. But they need to happen eventually. Still a very cheap hobby.
If everything is still within a reasonable range, everything is ok.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

Yeah. It's really weird. The price of everything goes up, wages stay the same (but in reality shrink), and people have to make choices. Keep the lights on and the cupboard stocked...or buy game books. It's not a choice. It's cool that there are people well off enough to afford both. But WotC is kidding themselves if they think their audience is purely well-off and middle aged. Don't they have data that points to the vast majority of their audience being in their 20s? That's not the demographic most known for having large amounts of disposable income.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To add on to this: If I remember correctly, the color of the sun also changed through the ages as things happened.

This could be what happens in the future of the setting.
This is exactly what I was worried about. That 5e Dark Sun is not going to be an updated re-imagining as 5e Ravenloft was, but a continuation of Dark Sun’s metaplot.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Sure, and I think WotC is mindful of that: hence no adjustments for 8 years, and when they do now brining format changes.

I'm curious to see the Dragonlance board game integration.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads