• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells of fate

las

First Post
Hand Of Fate
Transmutation [Chaos]
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 min/level
Target: Creature touched
Components: V, S,
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The subject becomes better or worse. The spell grants an enhancement bonus to a stat rolled at random (1d6, 1 Str, 2 Dex, 3 Con, 4 Int, 5 Wis, 6 Cha). Then roll a d6 on a 1-3 the is a negative penetaly, on 4-6 it’s a postive bonus ether way its Equal to 2d6+2.

what do you think.

Last edited:

Terraism

Explorer
las said:
what level do you think it would be then.
Hmm... it can provide a much greater bonus than any of the other main stat-enhancement spells, which are all at second level, but there's a 50% chance of it being a horrible penalty. Heck, a character with, say, a 14 constitution that's the recipient of this spell could die from it, instantly. That's not a great gamble. The other problem is that, unlike other spells, there's a good chance of it being nigh useless. Say, you cast it on a front-line fighter, and he gets a massive charisma boost. Wo! Wasted spell! Or a wizard who gets a strength bonus. It's still a bonus, but not a really useful one in most cases.

Personally, I'd think it's a little stronger than a 2nd level spell, but not quite good enough to justify a 3rd level slot. Perhaps if the saving throw wasn't rolled until after determining whether it would be a bonus or penalty, but that "breaks the rules" of most spells...

Saepiroth

First Post
important note; as an enhancement "bonus", it can't reduce a score below 1. so it's not safe, but it's not going to kill you, either.

also, for choosing "bonus" or "detriment", you should use a d6 rather than a d4. d4's have those bad tumble characteristics, which makes getting them to come up a certain number really easy.

Bhaal

First Post
I'll take maximize for 500, alex.

"Ok guys, WHO let the raging 10th level half-orc barbarian get a 40 strength? I thought we discussed this. Do I need to remind everyone why we had to leave the last town we were at? In the middle of the night? With 200 urban militia chasing us?"

Last edited:

Remove ads