• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spells you think are the wrong level

VirgilCaine

First Post
Jeff Wilder said:
Ray of enfeeblement is way too good for a first-level spell.

I agree that web and entangle are too powerful, if the DM doesn't play up their limitations. For example, web requires anchor points. The way I run the spell, you pick the center for the effect, and then any squares in that 20 foot radius that form continuous lines to anchor points are filled with webs. For instance, in a corridor forty feet wide, if the caster picks the most efficienct spot he'll web a two-square wide swath from wall-to-wall. The rest of the created webs will collapse and dissipate. Entangle actually invites the DM to apply limitations based on the terrain ... plus, it's a really nice flavor spell for druids. It's never been a problem in my game.

Both have SERIOUS terrain limitations. Where do you find anchor points in a desert, tundra, a beach, the plains, expansive cave system or on the ocean? Of course, if one is in a cramped dungeon, city, town, buiding, or dense forest (and stay in those areas), Web is just what you need. Entangle is even more limited--how many places have vegetation?

I played in a game as a 3rd and 4th level Gnome Wizard and considered taking Web...but we kept getting into random encounters out on the plains, and were rarely fighting in cities/towns, but did go into dungeons...so I chose Glitterdust.

If you keep letting the PCs be around places with vegetation or lots of upright objects, you'll hate Web and Entangle.

Vanye

Explorer
VirgilCaine said:
If you keep letting the PCs be around places with vegetation or lots of upright objects, you'll hate Web and Entangle.

My problem with Entangle is with the size of the area, personally. A 40' radius spread, at 1st level. Even allowing for the fact that it is limited to needing vegetation, it's a spell that has twice the area affected than it's nearest competitor, the 2nd level Web...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Vanye said:
My problem with Entangle is with the size of the area, personally. A 40' radius spread, at 1st level. Even allowing for the fact that it is limited to needing vegetation, it's a spell that has twice the area affected than it's nearest competitor, the 2nd level Web...
Keep in mind, though, there's little else offensive a Druid can do at low levels, and - as has been mentioned - you have to be in the right situation. If other classes than Druid get the spell, that's different...

Lanefan

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The biggest problem with web is that even if you save you are still completely stitched up by it. How many other spells do that, I wonder? Especially at 2nd level.

lukelightning

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
The biggest problem with web is that even if you save you are still completely stitched up by it. How many other spells do that, I wonder? Especially at 2nd level.

Bah. Web's nothing compared to a heightened eldritch web with the electricity template added (from Aracana Evolved). Level 3 spell that entangles and does 1d4 damage/round and stuns you each round. Bwahahaha! Oh, and it's a force spell so it works on wraiths too!

Vanye

Explorer
Lanefan said:
Keep in mind, though, there's little else offensive a Druid can do at low levels, and - as has been mentioned - you have to be in the right situation. If other classes than Druid get the spell, that's different...

Depends on what sources you're using, really.
There's Produce Fire, Magic Stone, and Shillelagh from the PH, there's Sandblast, Winter Chill, Babau Slime (though why in the Hells THAT is a druid spell I don't know...), Animate Fire/Wood/Water, Aspect of the Wolf, and Handfire from the Spell Compendium.

Plus the ever popular Summon Nature's Ally spell. There are some options.
I don't deny that limiting to PH means that Entangle is one of the best spells a druid can cast....but I can't find any other spell that is so effective for it's level.

Yes, it's limited to only druids, and only if there is vegetation, but it's still an 80 FOOT DIAMETER. That's frakkin' huge.

Remove ads