• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spike Growth

It doesn't specifically say that it can't be used indoors, however "the ground is camouflaged to look natural". How can a flagstone floor be camouflaged in this way?

MarkB

Legend
"Camouflaged to look natural" does what it says on the tin. The affected section of tiles appears to have been replaced with a smooth layer of unworked stone, the spikes coloured and textured to blend in with it so that they're difficult to spot.

Doesn't sound like camouflage, sounds like an illusion to me. How can 'smooth layer of unworked stone' give rise to spikes?

Camouflage implies that they're there in all their glory but disguised/hidden.

Riley37

First Post
If natural means "not made by tool-using creatures", then... i guess the flagstones appear grassy, or mossy?

If natural means "not made magically spiky", then the flagstones don't look spiky.

I'd say that spiky plants can grow from the crevices between flagstones; but that's not the same as applying spikiness to an area which already has plant cover.

What if you cast Spike Growth in the middle of a lake... or a lake in winter, covered with ice? on the deck of a ship? in a crowded market square? a ballroom dance floor? a gladiatorial arena (sand)? the back of an island-sized turtle?

could you combine it with other terrain complications? caltrops? ball bearings on a smooth floor? flaming oil? sharply sloped hillsides?

On a tangent: most munchkin use of SG I know, is to Grapple someone and drag them across the spikes. Useful for, say, a Druid wildshaped into a bear, which has the size and STR to grapple most foes.

House rule: if you cast Spike Growth on sarcastic vampires with British accents, the spell acts as Enlarge. (As in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".)

Remove ads