• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiked Orc Double Chain?

Do wacky weapons get used in your campaign?

• Oh yeah, double spiked orc hammers for all!

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • The NPC's use them, but the players rebuke such nonsense.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • The PC's use them, since double hook swords can score uber kills.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Poo on all that wacky stuff.

Votes: 45 56.3%

CombatWombat51

First Post
How common are all those new, wacky weapons in your campaign? Ya know, spiked chains, orc double axes, double swords, dwarven urgoshes, gnome hook hammers *snicker*.

I practically never use any of them, and I just have such a hard time imagining them with a straight face... even in my fantasy game with dragons and wizards :)

Goblyn

Explorer
They did see some use

We used them some a while ago, when they had novelty to them; not so much anymore.

What I found odd was that they had all these wierd weapons, monk weapons, and the spiked chain, but no manriki-gusari or kusari-gama. WTF?

[edit]I didn't realize this was a poll when I first replied, but Thanee's right. There's no viable option.

Last edited:

Friday night we were torn to bits by a super-munchkin, 10th level vampire barbarian wielding a spiked chain, with combat reflexes and a 20 Dexterity. In a room with a 15-ft. high ceiling, we were all within his reach. The worst beating came when the party's barbarian made a DC 28 jump check to reach the guy with a flying charge. She took two attacks of opportunity on the way in, then one more as she fell back to the ground. And one of those attacks of opportunity was with a claw that scored a critical hit and inflicted 4 negative levels.

The most cheap, silly thing to happen in a game I ran was the dual-wielding whip master, who, with the aid of some broken as hell feats, was making attacks of opportunity at everything within 15 ft., tripping anything that moved. Honestly, I swear, at one point I had a wizard just cast while lying on the ground, since he would've been tripped if he'd tried to stand up.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
In the past 4 years of playing 3e, I think we have had one cohort who used a spiked chain (and she didn't last too long).

For the most part, we like our fantasy weapons to be pretty standard...

CombatWombat51

First Post
Goblyn said:
We used them some a while ago, when they had novelty to them; not so much anymore.

What I found odd was that they had all these wierd weapons, monk weapons, and the spiked chain, but no manriki-gusari or kusari-gama. WTF?

[edit]I didn't realize this was a poll when I first replied, but Thanee's right. There's no viable option.

It sounds like "poo" is the option that describes your opinion, but I don't know about Thanee.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We had a deep gnome NPC who had mastered the gnomish hammer. Other than that, though, there's been a dearth of wacky weapons.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Given the freakish weapons that existed throughout history, from Pistol-swords, to seven-section chains, to dagger-axes, to the very-real-and-very-effective quarterstaffs and chinese spears, Imagining use of a two-headed sword, or a hammer with a pick on the tail end is not that difficult.

The funny thing about historical weapons is that while you rarely saw weapons with two heads, there are no end of variants with multiple "business ends" on the same end; the halberd, the battle axe, and most pole arms are proof of this. Heck, anyone who could come up with an arquebus with spiked bands around its outside so that it could be shot and then blubbed with a la a morning star has got to be one inspired yet crazy person.

There's a reason they're exotic; you don't find too many people who are trained with them, who are still alive! :)

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
Speaking of freakish weapons, there was a combination revolver-knife-brass knuckles weapon that a French 19 century gang used. There was also an early Colt revolver that combined the most feared weapon previous to the Colt--the Bowie Knife--and the new revolver.
More recently, an inmate in a prison hand-made a machine gun that fired ball bearings with the force of a .25 cartridge.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I'd use them...but so far the only "odd" weapons that a PC has used is the Kurkri Sword. I have used a couple exotics but not that many.

Remove ads