• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiked Orc Double Chain?

Do wacky weapons get used in your campaign?

• Oh yeah, double spiked orc hammers for all!

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • The NPC's use them, but the players rebuke such nonsense.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • The PC's use them, since double hook swords can score uber kills.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Poo on all that wacky stuff.

Votes: 45 56.3%

Shallown

First Post
They aren't real common in my game but the spiked chain sees a lot of use just becuase I favor it a lot. The players are seldom surprised by an NPC "Spiked chain wielding monkey" as they are now called. About the only other consistent use of a Exotic weapon prof was they fought a mercenary company that all used bastard swords 1 handed.

No one among the players have gone the exotic weapon route. No real reason I know of.

later

The_Gneech

Explorer
The occasional orc heavy weilding the double-axe has showed up; I have in mind for a psychic warrior to lay some smackdown with his spiked chain at some point, as well.

-The Gneech :cool:

Bagpuss

Legend
Henry said:
The funny thing about historical weapons is that while you rarely saw weapons with two heads, there are no end of variants with multiple "business ends" on the same end; the halberd, the battle axe, and most pole arms are proof of this.

You should know Henry, as in the Tower of London is one of your "walking sticks" which was basically a massive spiked-club-ended polearm but also contained three matchlock pistol barrels. They also have round shields with pistols built into them.

The Lucern Hammer I've seen in the Royal Armouries in Leeds has 5 different weapons built in one. The "multiple business end" had a hammer on one side, a flat bladed spike on the top, a hook opposite the hammer. The shaft was lined with studded metal, and the opposite end of the shaft (from the blade, hook, hammer end) had a metal shod spike.

The hammer was for hitting the joints on full plate armour to buckle them and reduce your foes movement the blade was to thrust as the visor or joints, the hook was to trip or get at the soft leather on the back of the knees. The shaft was defensive and so you could damage on a swing even if the business end missed and the spike was to thrust down and break through plate once your opponent was on the ground.

Darklone

Hypersmurf said:
"Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent."

...?

-Hyp.
I bet that Vampire had the Hold the Line feat ... since the barbarian charged, two whacks.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
In the time that I have been playing 3.0/3.5, I have seen two players use a spiked chain, and one NPC with a double bladed axe.

Henry

Autoexreginated
In our games, I've seen one Half-Orc Bard with a spiked chain, I've had one NPC with a double-bladed sword, an PC skilled with a quarterstaff, and that's all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads