• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiked Orc Double Chain?

Do wacky weapons get used in your campaign?

• Oh yeah, double spiked orc hammers for all!

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • The NPC's use them, but the players rebuke such nonsense.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • The PC's use them, since double hook swords can score uber kills.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Poo on all that wacky stuff.

Votes: 45 56.3%

Sejs

First Post
Quarterstaves, chains (from OA), and a dire mace one time (also known as the Iron Q-Tip of Terror). Other than that, no, not really.

jerichothebard

First Post
We don't tend to use them as a party because they require too many feats that could otherwise be spent more profitably elsewhere.

I would not be surprised to see NPC's with them - the "springing to life fully-formed" nature of NPCs, particularly at higher levels, often means that they can be much more specialized than PCs. They don't have to survive the first 10 levels in a huge variety of situations.

At least, this has been my experience.

jtb

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
RangerWickett said:
The worst beating came when the party's barbarian made a DC 28 jump check to reach the guy with a flying charge. She took two attacks of opportunity on the way in, then one more as she fell back to the ground.

"Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent."

...?

-Hyp.

ManicFuel

First Post
poo

All that wacky stuff was a real turn-off for me when I first picked up 3e. I came straight from 1e, so I just thought times had changed. But now that someone has mentioned it, I think they're all poo. Dire flail? That thing is only "dire" to its wielder, from the looks of it. Meanwhile, I'm still looking for something to make the quarterstaff cool.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
ManicFuel said:
I came straight from 1e, so I just thought times had changed. But now that someone has mentioned it, I think they're all poo. Dire flail? That thing is only "dire" to its wielder, from the looks of it.

Go pick up your 1e MM, and take a look at Yeenoghu's weapon. :p

heimdall

Dwarven Guardian
I've used some of them as a DM to give more flavor to the game (not every fighter is walking around with a greatsword, after all), but my players are pretty standard: greatsword, bastard sword, longsword, greataxe, heavy crossbow, composite longbow.

Wombat

First Post
Whenever I see these kind of weapons, I think back to my time in the SCA and the Pandybat Tournaments -- Three Handed Axe, War Band, War Maypole, etc.

None, most of them are ridiculous weapons that would never work well in the real world, so I don't both with them. Badly balanced, as likely to hurt the wielder as the intended victim, they are just silly.

Dogbrain

First Post
Henry said:
The funny thing about historical weapons is that while you rarely saw weapons with two heads, there are no end of variants with multiple "business ends" on the same end; the halberd, the battle axe, and most pole arms are proof of this.

That's not so funny if you've ever handled a long-hafted weapon. There are definite hazards to not having an end that you can always safely grip. You'll note that real-world flexible "use at either end" weapons could be held at either end without cutting the user's fingers off.

Dogbrain

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
Speaking of freakish weapons, there was a combination revolver-knife-brass knuckles weapon that a French 19 century gang used. There was also an early Colt revolver that combined the most feared weapon previous to the Colt--the Bowie Knife--and the new revolver.

There was also the pike-longbow. It was abandoned because the time it took to become good in one meant that one could not be any good at the other (ie, it would take much more effort than expending a "feat" or a proficiency slot).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads