• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spin Off of Mindflayer Thread

Da Man

Explorer
One question in my other thread that has gotten overlooked regards grappling.

I am fairly confident on how it works and have had many grapples that have seemed fair and balanced in the end.

But, oddly, I never considered how to deal with the following, and would love some advice (this has not happened, but came to mind in my meanderings on dealing with the Flayer issue):

Let's say Goblin Badarse suddenly gets mad and jumps on Joe Weakling, the fighter. Goblin Badarse promptly puts him into his patented 'Badarse Nookie.' (In game mechanics, Goblin just put a pin on Joe...Joe is PINNED by Goblin)

Now, Joe's big bro, Sam Pencilneck, realizes the threat that Joe is in and decides to join the fray. But, Sam Pencilneck has his trusty shoehorn and hopes to deal some damage to Goblin with it.

Thus, from a mechanic's perspective, Joe is pinned. Now, Sam wants to help Joe out, but he is more interested in simply putting the beat down on Goblin then actually trying to help Joe escape the pin. Sam wants to make his touch (normally, he auto-touches, by the regular grapple rules) and then jab ole Goblin with a shoehorn.

How is this resolved? If one starts to go down two separate paths, you come to a possible situation where someone is pinning someone who is being pinned (I suppose a possibility..)

Thoughts on this would be great.

JDowling

First Post
I think this is what you are asking...

Monster is Grappleing PC1, PC2 wants to join in the action.

PC2 is "Joining a Grapple" so...
1 - he needs to use an attack
2 - his grab check automatically succedes
3 - the target doesn't get an AoO

Then
1 - Make opposed grapple checks. If you succeed you start the grapple, if you fail the check, you don't start the grapple.

Assumeing you win you can do the following:
- deal the damage of an unarmed attack
- Pin
- Break Another's Pin (free an ally from a pin)
- Escape the grapple

other options
- attack with a light weapon while grappleing (though not two weapons)
- cast a spell with no somatic components
- escape artist check to "wriggle free"

up to 4 combatants can grapple a single opponent in one round.

Did I miss the question or can you figure out your answer from that? Sam can attack with his shoehorn if it is a small weapon (while grappleing), do unarmed attack damage to Goblin, pin the goblin, or break the goblin's pin on Joe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads