Spirit Binders (Tome of Magic variants) - updated TWICE 12/25

Nail

First Post
Thank goodness! I was afraid all had been lost. ....I really must archive the threads I like.

So.......take this as Effusive Praise! This is exactly the stuff I need as raw material for my new campaign!

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Those are some spiffy abilities there Nifft!

Since I'm going for a Spirit theme in my next campaign, these would be a great addition that suit the flavour I'm going for! It's all very well thought out and presented well. Thanks in advance for the fun my players will have with these rules! :)

Angellis_ater

First Post
This is some really impressive material and contains all of things I had wished I had the energy to do, but done by someone else! It's a Christmas Gift! :)

Thanks alot Nifft, this is great!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Angellis_ater said:
Thanks alot Nifft, this is great!

I'm sure I've gotten lots of things wrong, especially in combination -- and worse, I'm sure that as a replacement for a Druid / Ranger / Barbarian, I'm sure lots of useful stuff is missing (for example healing is very scarce).

Thoughts?

Thanks, -- N

Yair

Community Supporter
Very nice. You're fast moving to the upper echelons of my personal pantheon.

I'm not familiar with pact magic, but the idea of Spirit sounds far better than Vestiges. Far, far, better.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yair said:
Very nice. You're fast moving to the upper echelons of my personal pantheon.

I'm not familiar with pact magic, but the idea of Spirit sounds far better than Vestiges. Far, far, better.

Thanks Yair!

Whether you like the flavor of Vestiges or not, it's a good effort by the authors. They manage to stay off the toes of all existing classes, magic systems and religions, while making some cool "old school" references. (The list of Vestiges reads like a combination of Ars Goetica and "D&D: Where Are They Now?")

In contrast, I'm quite blatantly stepping on the toes of the Barbarian, Ranger and Druid. :)

Anyway, please let me know if any of the mechanics are insufficiently explained. They're different enough from the ToB's mechanics that I won't feel bad about doing a write-up of my stuff without including references to theirs.

Cheers, -- N

Angellis_ater

First Post
No, I understand all of the stuff perfectly well and to be completely honest in a system like this I like how you've avoided alot of fluff for the "vestige-variants" - since each DM generally has their own ideas of how to integrate stuff like this it's wonderful to have the mechanics done and just "fluff" it according to how I want stuff in my campaign.

This has actually lead me to expand the role of the Binder class in my campaign setting - earlier on they bound "ancestor spirits" (normal Vestiges) and were therefore part of a defined culture, but with this I can add them to alot of different cultures (I have one already where Elementalism is a religion).

Remove ads