Spirit Binders (Tome of Magic variants) - updated TWICE 12/25

Asha'man

First Post
It seems downright rude of me to ask for more, after you have provided all this wonderful material, but do you have any thoughts about mechanics for Outsider spirits as well? What would be the benefits of binding an Avoral, a Blue Slaad, a Mezzoloth or even a Klurichir?
Edit: Or, in a fashion more in accordance with vestiges and spirits as presented, binding only a small part of the essence of cosmic outsiders such as Abigor, Rennbu or Faerinaal.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Hey there Asha'man! Welcome to the boards. It's never rude to ask for second helpings, the chef appreciates the implicit complement. :)

You did see the Hellbinder earlier in the thread, right? That's my take on an evil Prestige Class which binds demons & devils.

The idea of binding to Celestials is interesting. It would have to be voluntary, which would change the mechanics a bit. Hmm. Actually, binding to Slaad and Inevitables could be voluntary too... I like this idea. Let me think about it for a bit.

Cheers, -- N

deamonprince

First Post
Very Well Done

I like these variants a lot - very flavourful, based on good, solid game mechanics. They certainly don't lack in the flavour department either - they fit very well in a mythological campaign. Top notch formatting too. :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Aage said:
It seems like the elemental spirits lack taboos... or am I missing something?
Nope, the Elemental spirits are pretty benign. Their complication is the fact you can't bind opposing descriptors simultaneously -- and that only Spirit Shaman get full access to them.

Cheers, -- N

Aage

First Post
I had an idea based of this variant, combining binding with martial manoeuvres. I hope you don't mind me posting this class idea in this thread, and if you wish I shall remove it and put it in a separate thread... Anyway, here goes...

Animal Rager (better name needed)

Requirements
Feats: Tiger blooded
Special: Spirit Totem Class feature
Manoeuvres: Knowledge of 2nd level manoeuvres from the tiger claw discipline.

Code:
Lvl	BAB	Fort	Ref	Will	Special	                         K / R / S
1	+1	+2	+0	+0	Primal Fury +1/day, Berserker	 1   -   -		
2	+2	+3	+0	+0	Totem Ability                    -   -   -		
3	+3	+3	+1	+1		                         1   1   -	
4	+4	+4	+1	+1	Lesser Spirit form stance        -   -   -		
5	+5	+4	+1	+1		                         1   -   1
6	+6	+5	+2	+2	Second Totem                     -   1   -	
7	+7	+5	+2	+2	Primal Fury +2/day               1   -   -		
8	+8	+6	+2	+2	Second Totem Ability	         -   -   -		
9	+9	+6	+3	+3		                         1   1   -
10	+10	+7	+3	+3	Greater Spirit form stance	 -   -   1

Hit Die: d12

Class Skills (4 + Int bonus/level): Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (geography, nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Weapon and Armour proficiencies: The Animal Rager gains no proficiencies with weapons, armours or shields.

Manoeuvres: The animal rager learns manoeuvres and stances from one the tiger claw discipline. At each odd level, he learns a new manoeuvre. At every third level, he can ready an additional manoeuvre. At fifth and tenth levels he learns a new stance.

Berserker: Your levels in animal stack with those in Vodun berserker for determining effective binder level and effective vodun berserker level.

Primal Fury: At 1st level, and again at 7th, you gain an additional daily use of your primal fury ability.

Totem Ability: At 2nd level, the animal rager gains a powerful ability, based on his spirit totem.

Ape totem:
Bear totem:
Boar totem:
Eagle totem:
Fox totem:
Jaguar totem:
Wolf totem:

Lesser Spirit Form Stance: Starting at 4th level, when in a stance of the tiger claw discipline, you can choose to forgo the stances as a full-round action. Instead, you may bind a second animal spirit in place of the stance.

Second Totem: You gain a second spirit totem, as the vodun berserker ability. If you have both your totems active (via the lesser spirit stance) the totem benefits stack.

Second Totem Ability: At 8th level, the animal rager gains a totem ability similar to the one gained at 2nd level, this time for his second totem animal.

Greater Spirit Form Stance: At 10th level, you perfect your ability to bind a spirit in your stance. As long as the spirit you bind in your stance is either of your two totem spirits, you can keep the benefits of the stance you were in before binding the spirit.

cimbrog

Explorer
This is fantastic! I loved the Binder class in ToM, but I had absolutely no desire to add yet another set of otherworldly beings to the world. This makes for a much cleaner, easier to use version of Green Ronin's Shaman which I had been using before and will likely act as its replacement if I ever get the chance.

Incidentally, the idea of binding celestials and other lawful or good creatures makes perfect sense. In a Heaven vs. Hell campaign I had run, I had combined Green Ronin's Shaman and Avatar and allowed for shamans to use angels as spirit guides. It makes for a good cleric/paladin alternative.

Remove ads