• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spiritual Hammer Question

Wepwawet

Explorer
On this cleric spell's description it says "Make a melee attack with the hammer"

Do you use your own strength to make this attack, as a regular melee attack?
Or do you use Wisdom, as in previous D&D versions?

Maybe I'm too stuck on previous versions, but controlling a magical spectral hammer floating around should have nothing to do with your own physical Strength, right?

beej

Explorer
Huh. I told my cleric player to make a spell attack (which made sense at the time, since the hammer was a spell), but you're right, it does specify melee attack. @_@

So we had the cleric of pelor said it would make sense for the other ccleric because his attack sucked... Then he asked if he could use wis instead of str

Wepwawet

Explorer
Using your action you move the hammer up to 20ft and attack with it. Both with your action.

That's my understanding of it.

KesselZero

First Post
I pondered this too, and I'm pretty sure it would use Wis, since that's the "magic modifier." Melee just means it has to be next to the target.

TerraDave-- yeah, as far as anyone can tell you get two actions when your Hammer is a-Hammerin'.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Is the "part of your action" language meant to indicate that it goes away if you can't take an action? (e.g. passed out)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads