• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spontaneous blasting

paladinm

First Post
The "new" Myth & Magic has a class talent (cough Feat cough) that allows a wizard to use a spell slot or 2 to generate a sort of "eldritch blast".. I think the damage is 1D6/ 2 slots. I am Not a big fan of "at-will" powers, especially those that cause damage; I would much rather have spontaneous casting all around. But short of that, if we're stuck with "standard D&D" casting, this seems to be a way to get a little more flexibility, just like having spontaneous healing for clerics. I would tinker with the math a little (maybe have 1D6 per each spell slot level traded), but I really like this!

Any thoughts?

paladinm

First Post
Sorcerers don't need this.. They have full spontaneous casting. It's kind of like a warlock's eldritch blast, or a more powerful magic missle, depending on how many spell slots/levels you trade. A wizard would never have to be stuck with only a Web spell when s/he needs to blast something.

Beefing-up the cantrips as a whole and making them all at-will, especially if you add something that causes damage, does nothing to alleviate the perceived wizard/non-wizard imbalance.

Stormonu

Legend
So long as the damage isn't overshadowing what an equivalent level character with a weapon is doing, I don't see it as a problem.

However, I would like to see some sort of way of preventing/averting the spontaneous use; characters with weapons can be disarmed, have the weapon sundered or plain run out ammunition. If some similar weaknesses or limitations are built into these at-wills, I'd breathe a lot easier.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
However, I would like to see some sort of way of preventing/averting the spontaneous use; characters with weapons can be disarmed, have the weapon sundered or plain run out ammunition. If some similar weaknesses or limitations are built into these at-wills, I'd breathe a lot easier.

Personally, I'd settle for keeping the reduced damage and removing the proficiency bonus. Sure, you can cast magic missile when you don't have a crossbow-- or don't know how to use one-- but it's like casting knock; the Rogue with thieves' tools does it better and faster.

BobTheNob

First Post
Seems like something for the sorceror class or an evoker theme.

Quite the opposite. Its actually more for a non-combatant style caster.

What the? You say
Read the description. It allows you to turn spells into damage, how is that for a non-combatent?

Lets face it, if you have fireball doing Xd6 to all enemies in an area, are you going to convert it to a single damage spell which actually does less? Hell no. The way myth and magic is organised, you would NEVER convert damage spells into eldritch blasts.

So which would you convert? Simple. Non combat spells. What this ability allows is for a mage to stock up on nothing but exploration spells and make him a utility master, then is a fight breaks out he can start converting them into eldritch blasts to avoid being completely useless.

So to me, a "sorceror" is better off just using the combat spells that are there and stearing completely clear of this idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads