[Spots Filled] Curse of the Cold Sun (Pathfinder, Eberron, RHoD)

81Dagon

Explorer
No worries. Accelerated crafting is fine by me.

Everyone: I don't know if anyone is interested, but here's a quick summery of the races that can have children with other races in my Eberron. The biggest change is for half-orcs, who breed true, but can also breed with any other humanoid race, from humans, to goblins, to halflings to bugbears (although why they would want to is a good reason).

All of these would be relatively common knowledge, and while I don't think it will play a huge role, it might, and I thought I should let you know.
[sblock=Reproduction and genetics in Eberron]
Changelings

• Can breed with any humanoid
  • Always produces a changeling
  • Only race that overrides half-orc genetics

Half-Orc

• Can breed with any humanoid not of the reptilian subtype
  • Always produces a half orc, unless the mate is a changeling

Half-Elf

• Can breed with humans, half-elves and elves
  • Humans can produce another human or a half-elf
  • Elves and half-elves produce more half-elves

Shifters

• Can breed with humans and always produce shifters

Kalashtar

• Can breed with humans
  • If the gender is the same as the kalashtar parent, the child is kalashtar, otherwise it is human
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Heh, sorry Davachido, guess I should have read the character posts a little more carefully. I'll change my characters name. No worries. I think cheap healing wands would be great and I'm willing to kick in a few coins. Money's a little tight for me, but I should be able to come up with a couple hundred if needed.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm. An Oracle of Nature can still have a bonded mount...but it has a very limited list of what's available. No dinosaurs. BOO.

I could go druid though. But then I lose the halfling stat bonus. BOO!

81Dagon

Explorer
Hm. An Oracle of Nature can still have a bonded mount...but it has a very limited list of what's available. No dinosaurs. BOO.

I could go druid though. But then I lose the halfling stat bonus. BOO!

I'd be willing to rule that a halfling Oracle of Nature of at least 4th level from the Talenta Plains would be able to take an Ankylosaurus or Brachiosaurus as their bonded mount instead.

Everyone:

On other thing to be aware, because it will be helpful, especially for those of you who craft things. Q'barra is known for two special types of Dragonshards, specifically, Eberron Dragonshards. These are known as Dusk and Dawn shards. They are rarer, but also more magically powerful than typical dragonshards. They can be included as component as part of the creation as a magical item and for every 100 gp of dawn and or dusk shards included, the crafter gains +1 on their skill check to finish the item's creation. The catch is that while the shards cost 100 gp, they only count as 50 gp of components. So if you were enchanting a masterwork dagger to become +1 the market price of the enchantment is 1000gp, so the crafting price is 500 gp (if you aren't a gun riding goblin). If you purchase 200 gp worth of dawn shards, you could use those shards as part of the item creation gaining the +2 to the skill check to complete the enchantment, but you would still have to purchase another 400gp in material components. As a result of the cost, most people try an harvest their own dragonshards instead, which carries it own risks. The maximum bonus you can gain through this method is +3 and depending on the type of magic item, they may also have some other effects.

Sound good, fair and/or useful?

Vertexx69

First Post
So if I'm understanding this, using these dawn or dusk shards essentially cuts the base price for magic items in half, before any other discounts, in addition to the plus to your enchanting check? Or are the numbers just off? The normal market cost for a +1 weapon is 2,000g with a crafting cost of 1,000g without these wondrous dragonshards or any other discounts. Are they from a book?

Shayuri

First Post
Hm. Angling for a Deionychus...but I can always go druid for that. Or just bite the bullet and stick with sorceror/summoner depending on the build I pick.

Sorry for the waffling.

81Dagon

Explorer
So if I'm understanding this, using these dawn or dusk shards essentially cuts the base price for magic items in half, before any other discounts, in addition to the plus to your enchanting check? Or are the numbers just off? The normal market cost for a +1 weapon is 2,000g with a crafting cost of 1,000g without these wondrous dragonshards or any other discounts. Are they from a book?

My bad. I was super tired last night after a killer leg workout and used the numbers for armour when I thought weapon. Here's another way of writing it, since I realized the first was overly convoluted and the cost doesn't work the way I wanted it to.

Specialized Eberron dragonshards known as dawn and dusk shards are only found in Q'barra, and can be used to enhance the creation of magic items. Each 100 gp of these dragonshards used in the item's creation grants the creator a +1 bonus to the skill check at end of item creation. These are in addition to the regular price of crafting. (the underlined section is a change)

For example, the cost buying a +1 sword is 2000 gp above the base price, so the crafting price is 1000gp. By adding 200 gp of dusk and/or dawn shard, a crafter adds +2 to the final skill check to finish the item.

Sorry for the confusion. Questions? Comments? Fair?

Dawn and Dusk shards are canon, but they are from a DDI article by Keith Baker, so they don't have quite the same abilities, which are intentionally vague. I'd rather not say which one, as there are a number of plots that are based off the that article and I would kind of like them to stay as secret as possible until the appropriate time.

Hm. Angling for a Deionychus...but I can always go druid for that. Or just bite the bullet and stick with sorceror/summoner depending on the build I pick.

Sorry for the waffling.
I'd allow that at 7th level. Which actually shouldn't take too long comparatively.

Shayuri

First Post
Ahh, I see how it works. So the shards are kind of pointless on cheapie items, but make expensive, difficult items potentially much easier to make for a cost that is proportionally less the costlier the item is.

1000gp in shards for +10 to make a +1 sword is silly. 1000gp for +10 to make a Vest of the Archmagi...substantially less so.

81Dagon

Explorer
Ahh, I see how it works. So the shards are kind of pointless on cheapie items, but make expensive, difficult items potentially much easier to make for a cost that is proportionally less the costlier the item is.

1000gp in shards for +10 to make a +1 sword is silly. 1000gp for +10 to make a Vest of the Archmagi...substantially less so.
Bingo, although acquiring 1000 gp in those highly rare shards all at once may be an adventure in and of itself...

Remove ads