• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spring Attack & Fly

Darkness8Me

First Post
Can the Spring Attack feat be used while flying (fly spell)? If yes, anyone able to point out where it says so. I swear I read somewhere that they could be used together (something about "springing up") but I can't locate the source.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Yes, the Fly spell says it is like walking, and can attack and cast spells normally.

If it were a creature with natural flight ability, then you use the fly-by attack feat.

Darkness8Me

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
Yes, the Fly spell says it is like walking, and can attack and cast spells normally.

If it were a creature with natural flight ability, then you use the fly-by attack feat.

I don't disagree with you. Is there anyplace in the books/errata/faq that states this? Or is it so obvious that it doesn't need to be clarified (except for me)? :)

dcollins

Explorer
I'd call it definitely non-obvious. A "yes" ruling makes unnecessary the special "Flyby Attack" feat in the MM (p. 11) -- unless one is somehow saying Spring Attack works only for the fly spell and not other forms of flying.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Flyby is a more generic feat. It is similar to "Spring Attack", "Shot on the Run", and, ermm, "Spellcast on the Run".

It is actually a very flexible feat, but be aware of its differences. That little detail about AoOs, frex.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Darkness8Me said:
I don't disagree with you. Is there anyplace in the books/errata/faq that states this? Or is it so obvious that it doesn't need to be clarified (except for me)? :)

Yes, it is stated in the books. In the Fly spell description it says 'attack normally', and that means just that 'attack as normal', so if you could normally Spring Attack you can do it while flying, as well.

Darkness8Me

First Post
Sage Response

I received a response from the the sage on this topic, figured I'd post it in case anyone wanted to know.

Mr. Williams,

Can the Spring Attack feat be used while flying?

Sure.

Particularly when someone is under the influence of a fly spell and not natural means (i.e. wings).

Yes.

Remove ads