• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spycraft and how it goes up against D20 modern

Triple H

First Post
Hello everyone. Hope you are all well. Well back on topic

I downloaded the lite version of this game and must say I am psyched about it. The car chase mechanic,the way they do races(departments), the character classes and everythign. Everything. What I was wondering is if anyone else has seen this and what you all thought of it. Maybe even compare and contrast with D20 Modern.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I have downloaded Spycraft Lite and I must admit I like AEG's innovative approach to character creation to a human-only modern genre. I have yet to compare to d20 Modern (did not get the latest Polyhedron that features Shadowchaser, a test model for d20 Modern).

The action dice however, is new to me, albeit not new to those who have played Alternity or the download-only Dragonfist RPG.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Spycraft looks extremely cool from the LITE rules. I am much more impressed with the character design take in Spycraft than the lame-o "Smart Hero, Fast Hero, Strong Hero" seen in d20 Shadowchasers. That drives me nuts. Spycraft looks to be the TOP SECRET of the new millennium (a good thing!). :D

Psion

Adventurer
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
I am much more impressed with the character design take in Spycraft than the lame-o "Smart Hero, Fast Hero, Strong Hero" seen in d20 Shadowchasers. That drives me nuts.

Ditto! Sorry, it seems like they are trying to leverage multiclassing to make some meta-skill system with Shadowchasers, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

Spycraft seemed a bit specialized, but I can abide that better than the sin of blandness of Shadowchasers (if that is an indication of D20 modern.)

Triple H

First Post
Glad I am not alone LOL. I am actually thinking of running a spycraft online game but only after the book comes out. Though I am planning a game right now with the lite rules.Hey, does anyone know where I can get maps of stuff to use in a spy game?

In response to Shadowchasers that is only one part of the game. There are 4 in the entire set. Since we have not seen all 4 of them we shouldnt be too harsh. Then again it does look bland and just weird that they are encouraging prestige classes. Why not just make special rules for modern things then make books for different modern genres? Thing is they are doing that but at the same time turning people off. I dont think the core classes ashould be done by ability score. Too min/maxy for me. But is there really a better solution?

Wolfspider

Explorer
In response to Shadowchasers that is only one part of the game. There are 4 in the entire set. Since we have not seen all 4 of them we shouldnt be too harsh. Then again it does look bland and just weird that they are encouraging prestige classes. Why not just make special rules for modern things then make books for different modern genres? Thing is they are doing that but at the same time turning people off. I dont think the core classes ashould be done by ability score. Too min/maxy for me. But is there really a better solution?

I really like what I've seen of Shadowchasers/D20 Modern. I like how the base classes are all very archetypal, just like the TV shows the game's supposed to model. Buffy, she's the Strong and Fast Hero. Willow and Giles are the Smart Heroes. And so forth. Very cinematic. By using Prestige Classes, the archetypal characters can show their specializations. Buffy is the Slayer, Giles the Mentor, Xander has a level of Soldier, Riley has several. All very nifty.

In fact, yours have been the first real complaints I've read about the D20 Modern system. There was a rather large thread a while back where most of the people voiced approval. Of course, I also think Spycraft will be an excellent game...but they're really different in what they're trying to do and the worlds they reflect.

Triple H

First Post
Exactly. they are two differnt games. I am not saying D20 modern is a bad game. I think it is going to be bland until something kicks it in to gear.

Now, Spycraft is differnt. It is a espionage game. Totally. The D20 modern is all encompassing. Now Shadowchasers is an espionage game and I find it boring. Again, my opinion but I was wondering what people liked about it.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
It seems as if d20 modern is trying to a classless RPG used a class based system.

Which is like trying to make orange juice with apples.

d20 is all about classes and levels. So d20 modern shouldn't be trying to water this down. Rather they should look at the archetypes we do have available in modern heroism and make strong classes out of them.

I haven't looked at Spycraft yet however. But if it intends to be a direct competitor with d20 modern it may have problems on the commerical end. Although since d20 modern will not likely be OGC spycraft may have a better future in the 3rd party adaptation arena.

I'll have to go get it and take a look.

Triple H

First Post
Hm, why would WOTC try to make a classless game out of a class game that they made? It makes no sense at all. It seems they are trying new things which I applaud them for. New things are good but D20 is more then suitable for modern day things with classes as without. WOTC has no chance agains tpeole that have had classeless structure for years. Will it be good? It will be fine, but nothing great in my estimation.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Triple H said:
What I was wondering is if anyone else has seen this and what you all thought of it. Maybe even compare and contrast with D20 Modern.

I really looking forward to this. It will be a nice addition to the D&D3e and Fading Suns games I have going on.

I was always a very, very big fan of the old Victory Games: James Bond 007 rpg and, hopefully, this will get me back into playing spy games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads