SRD Spells Database 3.5

The_Dood

First Post
I have just finished working on an Access 2000 database containing all 596 spells from the SRD. Unfortunately it is just the raw organised data. So I'm looking for some interesting queries to implement and was wondering if anyboy had any good ones. For the non-IT people out there, heres an example query to explain what I'm talking about.

Number of Spells Per School:
Transmutation: 126
Conjuration: 100
Evocation: 79
Abjuration: 72
Necromancy: 60
Enchantment: 58
Divination: 50
Illusion: 46
Universal: 5

Cyberknight

First Post
Are you only creating queries or are you creating queries based on a form.

Here are some things that can be helpful and some of the reasons why.

1. Breakdown by components (to determine which metamagic feats are needed or what can be cast while grappled)
2. Saving Throw (Find Fort save spells for use against mages)
3. Spell Resistance (Find spells that will work against that nasty dragon)
4. Duration (Find the spells that can be cast at the beginning of the day)
5. Casting Time (Find all the full round spells to never take) :)
6. Ranged Touch (for the rogue/mages out there)

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I don't suppose I could get a copy of the database? I used to have one for making custom spell sheets and I would like to update it for 3.5.

Ahrimon

Bozidar

First Post
Ahrimon said:
I don't suppose I could get a copy of the database? I used to have one for making custom spell sheets and I would like to update it for 3.5.

Ahrimon
exactly. as an IT person, i'd need to see the database, then i could make pretty much any query you'd like :)

just__al

First Post
Bozidar said:
exactly. as an IT person, i'd need to see the database, then i could make pretty much any query you'd like :)

I'd love to see the database as well. I'll even send you any queries I come up with...

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Me too! Me too! This sounds like exactly the kind of D&D tool I'd drool over.

Edit: and if you don't currently have it, a numerical field marked "Number of times prepared" and a text field marked "As spell level" would be great. Add to it another table, "SpellSlots" with two fields:
Spell Level
Number of spells available

Link "SpellSlots" to the "spells" table by the "SpellLevel"/"As Spell Level" fields, and set up a calculation (Spellslots.numberofspellsavailable - sum(spells.asspelllevel) or something like that), such that you can keep a running total of how many slots you have left in a given level.

Does that make sense? Say you're a fifth-level wizard with access to two third-level spells. The calculated field for third-level spells would say "2". Once you choose to prepare fireball 1 time as a third-level spell, the number of slots left would say "1".

Daniel

Last edited:

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Pielorinho said:
Me too! Me too! This sounds like exactly the kind of D&D tool I'd drool over.

Edit: and if you don't currently have it, a numerical field marked "Number of times prepared" and a text field marked "As spell level" would be great. Add to it another table, "SpellSlots" with two fields:
Spell Level
Number of spells available

Link "SpellSlots" to the "spells" table by the "SpellLevel"/"As Spell Level" fields, and set up a calculation (Spellslots.numberofspellsavailable - sum(spells.asspelllevel) or something like that), such that you can keep a running total of how many slots you have left in a given level.

Does that make sense? Say you're a fifth-level wizard with access to two third-level spells. The calculated field for third-level spells would say "2". Once you choose to prepare fireball 1 time as a third-level spell, the number of slots left would say "1".

Daniel

I would do that more as the functions of the forms (Speaking access wise) than the tables themselves. It's better to just keep raw data in the tables. That way it is easier to addapt your querry's to just about any situation. Say for instance, if you had a form to fill out your chosen spells, you could use a table that has the information about how many spells per level you can have, a table with the spell list for your class and the table with the spells. Then you just use the form and to prepare your spell list. It's much more versitile this way.

Bozidar

First Post
for 3.0 i had been recording all the spells for my wizard in an access database, but i only had a couple of score of em. I can't imagine how dawnting a task it would be to get all the spells for 3.5 into a database.

but i'd like to see it :)

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Ahrimon said:
I would do that more as the functions of the forms (Speaking access wise) than the tables themselves. It's better to just keep raw data in the tables. That way it is easier to addapt your querry's to just about any situation. Say for instance, if you had a form to fill out your chosen spells, you could use a table that has the information about how many spells per level you can have, a table with the spell list for your class and the table with the spells. Then you just use the form and to prepare your spell list. It's much more versitile this way.

Can you store data in a form without having an associated table, however? What I'm thinking is that the database would be fantastic for managing spell lists; if you could put in the number of spell slots your PC had (and also the specific spells you PC knew), then you could build on that information to do all sorts of fun stuff. And you'd want to store that information so that you wouldn't have to re-enter it each time you opened the database.

Daniel

Nine Hands

Explorer
I would love to see this database and I can probably give assistance with it. I don't know about the spell slots idea, but I can ask some of my co-workers and see what they think.

Remove ads