• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SRD Spells Database 3.5

The_Dood

First Post
Currently, the databse is little more than an excel sheet as I only got the scripts working for the importing yesterday (and only started the night before). For those interested on helping me work on this (Ninehands & CyberKnight) drop me an email and we'll work something out as I would be interested in having other poeple work on it with me. For those who just want a copy, right now it is at a stage were things aren't complete and I'm not comfortable giving it out, but when the next load of data is entered I will send you an email asking if you still want it.

For those interested on working on it, heres how the tables are laid out.

Spells:
Name (Text, Primary Key)​
ID (Number)​
School (Text)​
Subschool (Text)​
Descriptor (Text)​
Level (Text)​
Components (Text)​
CastingTime (Text)​
Range (Text)​
EffectType (Text)​
Effect (Text)​
Duration (Text)​
SavingThrow(Text)​
Resistance (Text)​
ShortDescription (Text)​
LongDescription (Memo)​

Domains:
Domain (Text, Primary Key)​
Power (Memo)​
Level1 (Text)​
Level2 (Text)​
Level3 (Text)​
Level4 (Text)​
Level5 (Text)​
Level6 (Text)​
Level7 (Text)​
Level8 (Text)​
Level9 (Text)​

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
A wee bit of feedback:
-Level should be separated out into another table -- otherwise, it'll be difficult to sort by level (what level is suggestion, for example? Flame strike?)
-Descriptor should be in another table -- a spell can have multiple descriptors.
-I would put components into several binary fields: Verbal, Somatic, Material, Arcane Focus, Divine Focus, with a yes/no in each field. This allows easier searching by each focus.

Daniel

Sir Whiskers

First Post
If you're willing to share, I'd also like a copy of the db.

Just off the top of my head, I'd be inclined to use this data as a base for couple utilities:
1. Quick Reviews. Whenever a spellcasting character gains a level, the player could use the db to do a quick, focused search of new spells available. A link for each spell would bring up the full description. This would make it much easier to select new spells when gaining levels.
A similar use would be a GM who wants to find spells of a particular school to fit an npc's concept, e.g., necromancer or fire-mage.
As mentioned above, another use would be finding spells with specific traits, e.g., spells with Fort saves.
All of these would probably be a series of relatively simple forms, with drop-down boxes for filtering.
2. Store character "spell books", allowing players and GM's to print out quick spell sheets before play, with all numeric fields calculated based on caster level and metamagic feats.

Other options would probably come to mind once my group began using the db. If you're willing to share the base db, I'll be happy to pass back any additions.

Silveras

First Post
Pielorinho said:
A wee bit of feedback:
-Level should be separated out into another table -- otherwise, it'll be difficult to sort by level (what level is suggestion, for example? Flame strike?)

Agreed. Level is dependent on class; a spell that is Sor/Wiz 2 may be Clr 3 or Dru 1. The "Spell Level" table should have columns for spell Name, Class List, and Spell Level. Spell Name and Class List should be a joint Primary Key.

Pielorinho said:
A wee bit of feedback:
-Descriptor should be in another table -- a spell can have multiple descriptors.

So true.

Pielorinho said:
A wee bit of feedback:
-I would put components into several binary fields: Verbal, Somatic, Material, Arcane Focus, Divine Focus, with a yes/no in each field. This allows easier searching by each focus.

THAT I disagree with. As a rule of thumb, it is NEVER a good idea. What happens when you try to add another spell that has a new Component type (like, say, Truenames; or the special components from the Book of Vile Darkness) ? Add a new field just for that ? Then add it to the forms ? Don't forget XP is a component type.

Better solution: Another separate table, with a Lookup table that lists the valid entries, and a one-to-many from the relationship to the main table.

Silveras

First Post
The_Dood said:
For those interested on working on it, heres how the tables are laid out.

Spells:
Name (Text, Primary Key)​
ID (Number)​

I would recommend either removing the ID field, or make it an autonumber field, AND the Primary Key. The existence of an ID field *implies* that it is the definitive "identifier" for the row (i.e., the Primary Key); having such a field NOT be the Primary Key will confuse others looking at the db.

Bozidar

First Post
Pielorinho said:
A wee bit of feedback:

Daniel
I'm not sure what you mean about the level being separated out into another table. I think it's pretty easy to sort the table as it is.
I agree about the descriptors and the components as boolean fields.

Bozidar

First Post
Bozidar said:
I'm not sure what you mean about the level being separated out into another table. I think it's pretty easy to sort the table as it is.
I agree about the descriptors and the components as boolean fields.
i got it, about the levels now.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Hey, just spotted this thread. I also have a full 3.5 SRD spell database, but it is in MySQL. Some people have converted it in Access.

As well, I have the full 3.5 SRD Monster data. Both these are also in XML.

I talk about it in
this thread , but alas my site is currently down.

If someone would host the files, it would be appreciated.

Andargor

Remove ads