Stacking Uncanny Dodge

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Silveras said:
The language in the turning undead section can be used to support a more restrictive approach to uncanny dodge, especially since it also refers to "experienced Paladins". However, the lack of similarly explicit language in the uncanny dodge entry leads me to think it works as I described. Naturally, this would not be the first (or only) occasion when the designers' intentions were omitted or miscommunicated.

Yeah.

Note that a consequence of what you described is that a Rog1/Brb1 also has Uncanny Dodge (Dex bonus to AC)...

-Hyp.

Chasmodai

First Post
The 3.5 PHB - and SRD - says this in the Barbarian Uncanny Dodge section:

...If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

The same line is in the rogue description of Uncanny Dodge.

Chasmodai

First Post
Point ;).

But what I was trying to point out was that you could simply use the same ruling for 3.0. It removes lots of headaches and arguments by simply saying: If your second/third/prestige class has an Uncanny Dodge level which you already have, then you just got the next level of it.

Simple.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Chasmodai said:
But what I was trying to point out was that you could simply use the same ruling for 3.0.

[blink]

But...

... that's not the rule! That's some creepy 3E/3.5 hybrid-mutant-monster!

Yecch!

-Hyp.

Chasmodai

First Post
I prefer to use a 3.5/.30 hybrid monster than argue about something for three hours.

And suffer a splitting migraine afterwards.

But hey, to each his own :D. Just trying to put a new persepctive on things.

Silveras

First Post
Chasmodai said:
I prefer to use a 3.5/.30 hybrid monster than argue about something for three hours.

And suffer a splitting migraine afterwards.

But hey, to each his own :D. Just trying to put a new persepctive on things.

Having been on the receiving end of a sharp reprimand from a DM who objected to doing just that, I limit my answers to 3.0 questions to using 3.0 materials.

Also, while some 3.5 changes were clarifications to mis-stated rules in 3.0, others were outright changes. I find it unhelpful to mix the two, as it makes it harder to remember "which version of rule X are we using ?"

flblblblblb.

If we go by 3.5 now, the description in the Uncanny dodge ability is making me even more confused.

If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

barbarian gains Uncanny dodge at level 2, and improved uncanny dodge at level 5. Rogue gains uncanny dodge at level 4, and improved uncanny dodge at level 8 (wth?)

Things are a little clearer now. In 3.5, it would probably go like this:
Rog1/Bar1: nothing
Bar1/Rog3: nothing
Rog7/Bar1: Uncanny dodge
Rog3/Bar4: Uncanny dodge
Bar2/Rog4: Improved Uncanny dodge
ie a character that already has Uncanny dodge, and gains Uncanny dodge again from another class, gains Improved Uncanny dodge instead.

I'll pretend that 3.0 -> 3.5 was meant as a clarification of the rules, and use that instead, even if it means I won't get "Improved uncanny dodge" for another 2 levels.

Thanks again for all your input.

AR

Remove ads