• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Staff Fighting and Dual Implement Spellcaster

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Keep in mind, to get ANY bonus from the second implement, he'd have to get the Dual Implement Wielder feat anyway, so it isn't appropriate to count that in the "cost" of this concept.

That said, sure it costs one feat to make the staff a double weapon, but for the price of that feat you're getting a "double the enhancement bonus of staves for damage rolls". Is that balanced with the usual requirement from users of the feat of having to buy an additional Implement to carry? I guess that will vary from DM to DM.

There are other advantages to wielding two implements, like getting the benefit of two properties and the potential use of two implement mastery features.

Trevelyan

First Post
I doubt it. It's still only one implement, it just counts as two weapons.
The main end counts as a +x staff (of a given type) and a +x staff (generic magic weapon), just as a double sword counts as a +x sword (of a given type) in the main hand and a +x sword (generic magic weapon) in the off hand. You quite clearly do count as having a staff in each hand, therefore dual implement applies.

I wouldn't trust the character builder at face value on issues like this - bug report it and see what WOTC says.
Why should I given that I'm happy with the outcome and it makes sense? If you think it's a bug then why not report it and report back.

Incidentally, the character builder only allows you to dual wield a staff implement if you already have the staff fighting feat, not if you simply hold the staff in both hands as a weapon. That suggests a level of intent rather than an accidental result.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Why should I given that I'm happy with the outcome and it makes sense? If you think it's a bug then why not report it and report back.

Because the character builder is known to have many bugs, and this could be a new one?

It may very well be the intent of the designers that it works the way you want it too, but personally, I'd rather know for sure before I counted on it.

I will bug report it before I play my next staff wizard who uses Two weapon fighting and Dual implements, if no one else has.

Trevelyan

First Post
Because the character builder is known to have many bugs, and this could be a new one?
Depends on your definition of bug. I've always thought that a bug was when it allowed something which it clearly wasn't supposed to (or vice versa).

When something makes sense both from a rational and RAW point of view, and when I've discussed it with the DM for the game in which I intend to use it, and who agrees with my understanding, then I have very little cause to assume that the character builder is wrong in supporting me purely because some of the more reactionary members of ENworld are running around screaming about it. Belt and braces can be useful in some situations, but belt, braces and an elastic waistband just seems silly. ;)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Depends on your definition of bug. I've always thought that a bug was when it allowed something which it clearly wasn't supposed to (or vice versa).

Some people think this clearly isn't allowed. Just because the character builder allows it, doesn't mean they are wrong. The character builder allows several things that are clearly wrong. :)

There is little point in debating it here, you clearly want it to work and don't want to risk finding out that it might not.

I'll send a question off to WOTC when I have time, because I'd actually like to know if it's supposed to work or not. I do a have a staff fighting wizard build I plan on playing at some point, and if it works then the dual implement feat would be an easy way to pick up an extra damage bonus.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hey, looks like it works. If both the character builder and CustServ agree, that will do until it shows up in a FAQ or errata, at least for me.

Response (Support Agent)06/19/2009 02:29 PM
Caliban,

Thank you for writing.

You would be able to gain the benefit from Dual Implement Spellcaster feat with a double weapon that is also your implement.

Good Gaming!

Paul
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Friday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST
Saturday-Sunday 10am-4pm PST / 1pm-7pm EST

Customer (Caliban)06/19/2009 12:21 PM
If you are proficient with a double weapon, and that weapon is also an implement for you, can you make use of the Dual Implement Spellcaster feat with the weapon as well? (This could be a wizard or invoker with the Staff fighting feat, or a swordmage with a double sword)

Thank you,

Book Name: Arcane Power

BobTheNob

First Post
It counts as wielding two staffs. You can use a staff as an implement. Fun with staffs of ruin.

The extra damage on a staff of ruin is listed as item bonus, but the Dual implement feat states that you get the enhancement bonus of the item in your off hand. Staff of ruin in the offhand would be no better than other implement

Eldorian

First Post
The extra damage on a staff of ruin is listed as item bonus, but the Dual implement feat states that you get the enhancement bonus of the item in your off hand. Staff of ruin in the offhand would be no better than other implement

He means that if you have a staff of ruin and the appropriate feats, then you gain 3 times the enhancement bonus to damage with your attacks. This is fun because you're adding a ridiculous amount of damage from your item.

Trevelyan

First Post
There is little point in debating it here, you clearly want it to work and don't want to risk finding out that it might not.
Hardly. You're not the first person to ask custserve that question and get the same answer, but I didn't have a link to the previous instance and somehow I don't think "Someone somewhere I don't know got a custserve ok on a previous thread but I can't prove it, sorry" would have gone down well. Besides, custserve are hardly infallible. But it appears that I've been vindicated so why worry.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads