• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Standing up from prone

mostholy2

First Post
One of my players is trying to find a loophole in the rule about going from prone to standing. According to the AoO chart in the PHB this clearly incurs an AoO.

He, however, is trying to circumvent this penalty by suggesting that a character should be able to expend 2 move actions to get up while maintaining your defence. The concept being a character goes from prone to kneeling then from kneeling to standing, since the chart has no description of prone to kneeling or kneeling to standing.

Now I have an issue with trying to put this house rule in because it is a clear loophole in the rules, but he does have a point that the character is still penalized because he looses a standard (or move action) to not incur the AoO.

Is there a ruling about AoO of going from prone to kneeling or kneeling to standing? I couldn't find anything about kneeling at all except for the attack penalty/bonus chart in the PHB.

RigaMortus2

First Post
He, however, is trying to circumvent this penalty by suggesting that a character should be able to expend 2 move actions to get up while maintaining your defence.

+4 dodge bonus to AC from Total Defense (standard action) + standing up from prone (Move-equiv action) is what he needs to do.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Aust Diamondew said:
A full round action to stand up with no attacks of oppurtunity sounds fair to me. His justification sucks though.

Actually, his justification has been suggested several times in the past here on the boards.

I think it is good when players are interested in the game enough to the level that this requires (it takes some serious research to find out that kneeling to standing is an option in the game).

And according to the rules of the game, the player is correct. This is not a house rule. Going from prone to kneeling does not provoke an AoO according to the rules. Going from kneeling to standing does not provoke an AoO according to the rules.

So, not allowing the player to do this is a house rule.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
A full round action to stand up with no attacks of oppurtunity sounds fair to me. His justification sucks though.

That would be a house rule though... The other way to get around the AoO (per the RAW) is via Tumble check. I forget what the DC is, but IIRC it is pretty high. Like you need to make a DC 30 or 40 tumble check to "tumble back 5 feet from prone and not provoke an AoO". I forget what book this rule is in. Either PHB or one of the Complete books.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
RigaMortus2 said:
That would be a house rule though... The other way to get around the AoO (per the RAW) is via Tumble check. I forget what the DC is, but IIRC it is pretty high. Like you need to make a DC 30 or 40 tumble check to "tumble back 5 feet from prone and not provoke an AoO". I forget what book this rule is in. Either PHB or one of the Complete books.

It would be a DC 25, based on the PHB.

DC 15 to tumble without provoking, +10 to the DC to do a full speed tumble.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
RigaMortus2 said:
That would be a house rule though...

Can you quote rules for this?

As far as I can tell, there is no AoO in order to go from Prone to Kneeling and there is no AoO to go from Kneeling to Standing.

RigaMortus2

First Post
KarinsDad said:
Can you quote rules for this?

As far as I can tell, there is no AoO in order to go from Prone to Kneeling and there is no AoO to go from Kneeling to Standing.

Taking a full-round action to stand up from prone is a house rule. That was what my comment was towards. Taking a move action to go from prone to kneeling and another move action to go from kneeling to standing is... questionable at best, but that was not what I was commenting on. Taking a full-round action and taking 2 move actions is not the same thing, right?

Oh, and can you quote what type of action it is to go from prone to kneeling and from kneeling to standing? Is it actually a move action? A free action? not an action at all?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Caliban said:
It would be a DC 25, based on the PHB.

DC 15 to tumble without provoking, +10 to the DC to do a full speed tumble.

I don't quite understand any of this.

First, the DC 15 to tumble without provoking is to tumble as part of normal movement. Standing from prone is not part of normal movement, in fact, the character does not "move" at all.

Second, what does full speed tumble have to do with this? This merely allows you to tumble past or through enemies at full speed as opposed to half speed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads