• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek RPGs

Stormborn

Explorer
Just having a conversation with a friend of mine at lunch today about Star Trek and we were wondering about the various Star Trek RPGs (not the Star Fleet Battles war game) we have seen. Any one played one, or done a Star Trek Game with a different system?

takyris

First Post
Never played any of them myself. I wasn't so desperate to play Star Trek that I wanted to learn a new ruleset.

I could pretty easily see a d20 Modern (or True20, or Grim Tales) adaptation, though -- I outlined something similar, though it didn't end up coming through with my players. Once you let phasers do a whole mess of nonlethal damage (whether or not you have it accrue in your system) and finish the flamewar over whether Vulcans should have +4 Int, +2 Str, -4 Cha, -2 Wis or +2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha, -2 Dex, I think you'll be in pretty good shape. :)

kenobi65

First Post
Played the original Star Trek RPG (FASA, I think?), back in the early 80s. My recollection is that it was pretty cumbersome (but, probably no more so than many of its contemporaries, such as Top Secret or Arms Law), and Vulcans were broken. :D Still, we had fun with it.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
We've been playing a Last Unicorn's Star Trek RPG off and on, and it's not too bad (much better than FASA, IMO). About 10 years ago we created our own ST RPG, which by chance was very similar to the d20 system. I still have the rulebook somewhere.

But as some have posted, the True20 system would work very well; just have to work out "realistic" stats for the different races.

Ilium

First Post
I've played in and run several Star Trek campaigns in GURPS. Big fun was had by all. I even worked up a starship combat system that was a sort of SFB-Lite but gave the PCs roles in the combat through various skill rolls.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Stormborn said:
Just having a conversation with a friend of mine at lunch today about Star Trek and we were wondering about the various Star Trek RPGs (not the Star Fleet Battles war game) we have seen.
So does this exclude Prime Directive, which is made for both GURPS and d20?

Widowmaker

First Post
I have played in 4 different Star Trek systems. FASA, Prime Directive, LUG, and Decipher.

IMO the LUG version was the best. It had flexibility and a well developed system.

Decipher's would be second. They have some good stuff out there, but needs some editing.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I have played in a handful of Trek games. Never played Decipher or LUG, but I do have the LUG TNG book. Out of the systems I've played in GURPS, Alternity, D20 Warp and one completely weird campaign using the D100 system (MERPS, Runequest, etc.), I have to admit that I liked the D20 Warp game the best. It uses the basis of D20 Traveller, which I hvae a good handle on. The others I only knew/know passingly.

Remove ads