Star Wars: Clone Wars Movie [Early Review, No Serious Spoilers]

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Hmm... some characters were a bit... annoying (Asoka), maybe because they felt a bit forced. The flow of the story was a bit erratic - you felt that it wasn't planned as a single film but rather as three episodes. And the start was... confusing - no scrolling text! :(

But then, the actual story was mostly interesting and as a pilot for a TV series, it wasn't that bad.

With a bit of additional polish and live acting, this could've been a good episode II.

So: Mixed feeling here. Some things done right, but also a lot of things done wrong. Could've been worse, but also so much better, this film had potential!

PS: And oh... was I the only one who had permanent flashbacks to Portal when the droids bantered? :blush:

Cheers, LT.

delericho

Legend
I saw it on Friday, and I kinda liked it. It struck me as "bubblegum for the eyes" - it was reasonably enjoyable for a while, but had almost no lasting impact.

The whole Padme subplot could have been dropped entirely, IMO. But then, I'm not a fan of the character - were it not for Luke and Leia needing a mother, she could have been dropped from the prequels entirely without much impact.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
The whole Padme subplot could have been dropped entirely, IMO. But then, I'm not a fan of the character - were it not for Luke and Leia needing a mother, she could have been dropped from the prequels entirely without much impact.

Without her Anakin wouldn't have had the kind of clinching motivation needed to turn to the dark side. My main problem was that her and Anakin supposedly had this great love for one another, yet they had no on screen chemistry. You'd think Lucas would have auditioned them together to make sure it was going to work.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Not too get off on a tangent here, but your wife kind of looks like the super-heroine Hygena from So You Want To Be A Superhero?. I hope I didn't reveal her secret identity...

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Portman is an excellent, rangy actor who will continue to surprise people throughout her career. Padmé is a character written no deeper than the plot required and would have been impossible for anyone to develop more than Portman managed. Hayden Christensen has been flat and uninteresting in everything I have seen him do. Anakin Skywalker is meant to be an exciting and conflicted character that requires and actor with subtlety and depth. Writing and casting were the problems in this situation.

frankthedm

First Post
While IMHO attack droids should be remorselessly efficient killing machines, I'll admit their antics did make me laugh.

I was willing to tolerate the CG stylization, but it did make them look too much like action figures. IMO "the clone wars" stylization works for the 2D animation {Clone Wars micro series], just not in 3D CG.

Was entertaining. Worth hopping into.

Krug

Newshound
Thought the pacing was horrid, and the droid dialogue left much to be desired. But there were interesting vehicle designs, though some made little sense and just seemed to be action figure fodder so Lucas can earn a few more bucks.

Remove ads