Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance ends with a bang

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The illusion monster was one of those things that really frustrated me about the system, actually - because my character didn't (couldn't) resist, despite having the best Will of the party. On the rare occasions Willpower meant anything, I'd still fail because the attack bonuses were still out of whack.

I had the joy of being chopped into negative HP by the mind-controlled Jedi PC in that adventure. Oh, boy.

Then someone dropped a grenade, not knowing the rest of us were around. Heh.

Cheers!

possum

First Post
I really have no reason to complain about that, since I was spamming Move Object on any enemy I faced. Serves me right to eventually have it bite me in the behind. I really don't mind it, it's just that--as in several RPGS--it's something that can be abused. I am, however, surprised that they didn't catch it.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Did anyone's GM running DoD use any of the fan-created material for the campaign? There are video intros for each chapter, better maps, and at least on of the BBEGs was rewritten to utilize more powers and feats from later books, along with new artwork to better suit the NPC?

Those resources alone made me giddy when I saw the campaign.

Last edited:

possum

First Post
Did anyone's GM running DoD use any of the fan-created material for the campaign? There are video intros for each chapter, better maps, and at least on of the BBEGs was rewritten to utilize more powers and feats from later books, along with new artwork to better suit the NPC?

Those resources alone made me giddy when I saw the campaign.

My GM uses the video intros, as well as the fan-created holonet news broadcasts.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
The more we played 4E, the more we wanted healing surges in Saga.

When we went from 4E to Saga the biggest thing we missed was being able to use healing surges at any time instead of when you were at half hit points or lower. There were many times when our characters were just over half hit points and we'd have our character jokingly ask another character to punch them in the nose until they could Second Wind.

Spatula

Explorer
The healing issue was one of my main sticking points with the system. Played a few games at low levels, and the PCs had to spend days recuperating after nearly every combat. The other big issue is Use the Force checks vs defense shenanigans. And I did notice that my jedi was pretty useless on a ship, although I appreciate that they tried to give everyone something to do.

It's somewhat ironic to me that the game that many tout as what 4e should have been would probably have worked better (in terms of emulating the source material) if it used the full-fledged 4e rules. But the basic d20 engine isn't very good at modeling cinema. Or books. Or anything but itself, really.

Anyway, congratulations on finishing the campaign!

Last edited:

Remove ads