[Star Wars] Out ESB...ESB???

Doug McCrae

Legend
Go back to the source for your version of Star Wars. The Hero With A Thousand Faces, Jack Kirby's Fourth World, Republic serials like The Fighting Devil Dogs, all that crap. How about using the Fighting Devil Dogs episode titles? The Lightning Strikes, Cargo of Mystery, The Torpedo of Doom. Pretty cool, eh?

Last edited:

Cyronax

Explorer
I was afraid I wasn't clear enough.
I was refering to the question why it hasn't happened yet. ;)

A reboot of lesser proportions has already happened a bit in Star Wars. The discrepancies from the events about the Clone Wars published in the 1998-2005 (ish) prequel novels (of which many are really excellent), to the Cartoon Networks' original short Clone Wars cartoons, and then the Clone Wars CGI cartoons movie/show in 2008, shows that George Lucas is not above throwing out reems of high profile canon. By way of example, check out the similarities and discrepencies of the novels vs. comics vs. cartoons regarding General Grievous and the events leading up to the attack on Coruscant (which then led directly into the beginning scenes of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith).

A lot of Star Wars fans might already know this, but the different grades of what constitutes canon is part of a sliding and changeable scale that Lucasarts goes to pains to quantify. See the Canon - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki.

Essentially George Lucas's sacred unchangeable elements are the six live action movies, the CGI Clone Wars movie, and the CGI Clone Wars show. And this is a 'new' category of canon ...

So far most of Lucas's direct efforts since the mid-to-late 90s has revolved around the prequel era. He's left the Old Republic era to comics and video games, while the post-movie era was left mainly to the novels.

Who knows ... that could change and the Lucas would probable start throwing out the continuity of the New Jedi Order era, especially since he's stated publicly that he didn't like the 'darker' direction that the Yuzhon Vong War took his original characters.

But all that's minutiae. I still love the breadth of Star Wars and its history and things are easily changeable for home use. (And Star Wars SAGA is the most elegant rules system hands down -- compared to 4e or 3.x).

C.I.D.

Last edited:

Remove ads