Star Wars Rewatch

Zardnaar

Legend
It's been about 38 years since I've seen Battle for Endor. The only thing I remember about it is that even as a kid I thought it sucked and I never wanted to watch it ever again. Although it's still better than the Holiday Special. I could not watch the Holiday Special even going in there knowing it was horrible.

I did a recent rewatch. I thought it was OK as a kid.

It's not completely awful one could argue its better than TPM/AotC or RoS and not get laughed at.

Its better than the animated movie.

Tbf I might need to do a rewatch of animated movie (I don't want to) or AotC (I don't want to).

Hussar

Legend
).

Han's still a renegade and self centered jerk in ESB, just not as much as in ANH. Limited growth. Remember, he was planning to leave the Rebels at Hoth.

it.

I guess? I mean he’s leaving because he’ll be killed by bounty hunters if he doesn’t. It’s not like he’s just bailing on them.

Meh, like I said, I think people read waaaaay to much into the character. He’s a bit of a reluctant hero but he’s still a hero from the get go.

So just finished Rogue One. Dam that’s a good movie. Not just a good Star Wars movie but just a great movie.

But again this is where watching the serials helps. First time I saw Rogue One, I had zero idea who Saw Guerrera was. Which made the movie a bit hard to follow at the start.

They keep introducing these characters and just assume the audience knows them.

MarkB

Legend
I guess? I mean he’s leaving because he’ll be killed by bounty hunters if he doesn’t. It’s not like he’s just bailing on them.

Meh, like I said, I think people read waaaaay to much into the character. He’s a bit of a reluctant hero but he’s still a hero from the get go.

So just finished Rogue One. Dam that’s a good movie. Not just a good Star Wars movie but just a great movie.

But again this is where watching the serials helps. First time I saw Rogue One, I had zero idea who Saw Guerrera was. Which made the movie a bit hard to follow at the start.

They keep introducing these characters and just assume the audience knows them.
I wasn't familiar with Saw when I first watched Rogue One, and I thought the movie provided more than enough information for the purpose he served in it - leader of an anti-Imperial faction, formerly part of the Rebel Alliance, but disavowed due to using extremist methods. Nothing about his history is brought up in the movie, so knowing more about him is simply a nice bonus - it doesn't fill in any gaps in his portrayal.

nyvinter

Adventurer
Yup some of the accents and whatnot are definitely pretty cringeworthy these days. But y’know what? Jar Jar isn’t all that bad. Pretty standard goofy Star Wars fare. And hes not actually in all that much of the movie.
They really should have avoided the accents for the Gungans, tightened up the pod race, and taking things a tad more seriously, then it would have been a lot better in hindsight. It's one of the rare Star Wars movies with an actual plot and not just "random things happen in a sequence". And making a kids movie about a trade embargo is such a wild idea that I have to defend the movie on that alone.

As for the other prequels: AotC has the good plotline on Kenobi being a detective and that should have been the movie. The rest is video game cutscenes stitched together. But I do think in the hands of another director and with rewrites, there is something hiding in it that could have been good.

As for RotS, it's painfully mediocre with no real story (it has a theoretical plot that doesn't touch the movie).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It was fun. I really don’t get the beefs. Han was never a”rough, seasoned smuggler”. He was a full on loser who was about to get killed by Jabba because he failed. After rescuing Leia from the Death Star, he’s always a straight up hero

People make this big deal about his “character arc” that I honestly think exists more in people’s minds than anywhere else.
Gonna disagree on that. We first meet him in a shady bar in a wretched hive of scum and villainy. He shoots Greedo under the table. Crime boss is leaning on him. Smuggler cargo cubbies that pass initial inspection by imperials. Everything says he‘s a reasonably dangerous and seasoned smuggler. And it’s not until he’s packing up his reward on Yavin’s moon that we have any hint of him having second thoughts about the connections he’s building.

Zardnaar

Legend
Gonna disagree on that. We first meet him in a shady bar in a wretched hive of scum and villainy. He shoots Greedo under the table. Crime boss is leaning on him. Smuggler cargo cubbies that pass initial inspection by imperials. Everything says he‘s a reasonably dangerous and seasoned smuggler. And it’s not until he’s packing up his reward on Yavin’s moon that we have any hint of him having second thoughts about the connections he’s building.

He also bails Luke out twice early in the trilogy.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Han's still a renegade and self centered jerk in ESB, just not as much as in ANH. Limited growth. Remember, he was planning to leave the Rebels at Hoth.
It's hard to tell in the films themselves, but by canon, Han spends three years with the Rebel Alliance in between episode 4 and 5. Something about the Rebellion struck a chord within him. Chewie probably had some input on the matter too -- the Empire was not kind to the Wookiees.

When Han is looking to leave Hoth at the beginning of TESB, it's because bounty hunters are getting too close, and endangering his friends and the Rebellion, as well as himself. I fully believe if he had gotten to Jabba and paid him off, Han would have returned to the Rebels.

I've always hated the fight between the emperor and Yoda. If you compare that Yoda with Yoda in Empire Strikes Back, they are two completely different characters. One is fan service, the other is a wise peaceful character, who would never draw (or own) a lightsaber.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I've always hated the fight between the emperor and Yoda. If you compare that Yoda with Yoda in Empire Strikes Back, they are too completely different characters. One is fan service, the other is a wise peaceful character, who would never draw (or own) a lightsaber.

Yoda is a Jedi they get trained in lightsabre use. Think yore referencing your own head canon there.

I can't stand the Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball fight between Yoda and Dooku.

Last edited:

Remove ads