Star Wars Rewatch

I recently saw The Empire Strikes Back live in concert. It was the first time I've ever seen it on the big screen, and it was amazing. Plus the fantastic score hits so much harder when you've got a live orchestra playing it right in front of you. Also, me and my gf were surrounded by Stormtroopers while watching it. How much better can a Star Wars viewing be?

Zardnaar

Legend
I recently saw The Empire Strikes Back live in concert. It was the first time I've ever seen it on the big screen, and it was amazing. Plus the fantastic score hits so much harder when you've got a live orchestra playing it right in front of you. Also, me and my gf were surrounded by Stormtroopers while watching it. How much better can a Star Wars viewing be?

Nice.

I made sure to see the OT on the big screen back in the 90's. I did see RotJ and one if the Ewok movies on the big screen in 80's.

But Yoda fights the emperor? Why? Who cares? One cgi character having a go just isn’t really all that impactful.
It seemed to go on for ages, and we all knew that it would resolve nothing and change nothing.

Still, at least it was shorter than the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan at the end of RotS. The Rebel Alliance blew up two Death Stars in less time than that took, and it's not as if the outcome was in any doubt in that fight either.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
@Hussar Hope your recovery is going well. I'm excited to hear you are revisiting Star Wars to pass the time. I've been a fan of Star Wars since I was a kid, and continue to be one as an adult. I revisit the movies (and shows) often, but I have also expanded my experience through a number of Audiobooks. Not unlike the movies, some are better than others. But I have yet to regret spending time (or money) on any of them because they are so immersive, complete with sound effects and musical scores. My favorites are any read by Marc Thompson, who brings each character to life with his incredible voice acting. (He sounds more like Han Solo than Han Solo! Ditto for Lando!)

Anyway, I usually avoid these discussions for a couple of reasons. For one, I can talk/write endlessly on the subject. But more importantly, I just don't want to get involved with all the negativity and vitriol that inevitably surfaces. Sure, there have been some missteps and not everything produced has been a gem. It's just tiresome when everyone involved races to reach for the same low-hanging fruit every time. But I look forward to reading any new insights, opinions, perspectives, and (most of all) appreciation for what it's supposed to be: fun! :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Funny thing I was on treadmill at gym the other day and one tvs had phantom menace. I saw the parts around the build up to pod race . Movie is much better with no dialogue and just music in ears
There was an edit that puts it in Sepia tone, puts the music in organ form, and has occasional cue cards.

Weirdly better.

Hussar

Legend
I realized that I kinda skipped over Rebels in my rewatch and D+ offered a list of Mandalorian episodes. So watched those last night.

Again, I am surprised how much better Star Wars works in serial format. The original series is probably so strong because they are just so much more focused. I think the prequels suffer from trying to introduce far too much stuff in too short of a time.

Probably why I really liked Rogue One. Very focused story that doesn’t try to introduce a whole bunch of largely superfluous stuff.

MarkB

Legend
I realized that I kinda skipped over Rebels in my rewatch and D+ offered a list of Mandalorian episodes. So watched those last night.

Again, I am surprised how much better Star Wars works in serial format. The original series is probably so strong because they are just so much more focused. I think the prequels suffer from trying to introduce far too much stuff in too short of a time.

Probably why I really liked Rogue One. Very focused story that doesn’t try to introduce a whole bunch of largely superfluous stuff.
I'm currently working my way through a rewatch of Rebels, and am up to early season 4. The Mandalore arc was very strong, and I'm looking forward to the more mystical episodes once they return to Lothal.

OB1

Jedi Master
I've always hated the fight between the emperor and Yoda. If you compare that Yoda with Yoda in Empire Strikes Back, they are two completely different characters. One is fan service, the other is a wise peaceful character, who would never draw (or own) a lightsaber.
Almost like Yoda learned something in his years of exile after his defeat...

Mad_Jack

Legend

Back when I was on a Rocky Horror Picture Show cast the owner of our theatre, who was a friend of the cast, got a print of A New Hope and did a special showing just for cast members...

There were 20 of us MST3K-ing Star Wars on a big screen... :D

Hussar

Legend
Well watched the last four or five eps of Rebels. Nice show. Solid story.

But one thing that always sticks in my mind. Sabine upright murders thousands of people when she blows the Imperial Dome. Like massive war crime level murder.

It’s hard to watch the show and ignore the implications sometimes.

Remove ads