Star Wars Rewatch

MGibster

Legend
I've always hated the fight between the emperor and Yoda. If you compare that Yoda with Yoda in Empire Strikes Back, they are too completely different characters. One is fan service, the other is a wise peaceful character, who would never draw (or own) a lightsaber.
Little dude was a Jedi. Lightsabers kind of come with the territory.

When Han is looking to leave Hoth at the beginning of TESB, it's because bounty hunters are getting too close, and endangering his friends and the Rebellion, as well as himself. I fully believe if he had gotten to Jabba and paid him off, Han would have returned to the Rebels.

Han mentions bounty hunters once, then spends days arguing and being emotionally manipulative with Leia about their relationship, saying he's willing to stay if she professes her love for him, and deciding to stay with the Rebels longer any time something comes up. He doesn't give a second thought to the idea that bounty hunters could endanger his friends or the Rebels on Hoth. Frankly, that line only exists in the script to set up the scene later where Darth Vader addresses the bounty hunters (which is a hunt funded by the Empire; Boba Fett would have been chasing Han for Darth Vader regardless of his debt to Jabba). Also, Han treats anyone with a lower rank than him like absolute garbage.

At the end of RotJ, Han finally shows that he respects Leia's autonomy to make her own decisions about her life and relationships. Also, as a general he shows care and respect for his subordinates, going as far as taking personal risks to ensure his soldiers stay safe.

I agree that the Darth Maul lightsaber fight was amazing.

However, Darth Maul himself may as well have been a robot. I felt like he was a non-character, no emotional investment against him, and when he died, no sense of satisfaction that evil had been defeated.

Giving the audience motivation to hate him would have gone a long way to actual investment in that fight rather than mere (very very cool) acrobatics and fight choreography.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I agree that the Darth Maul lightsaber fight was amazing.

However, Darth Maul himself may as well have been a robot. I felt like he was a non-character, no emotional investment against him, and when he died, no sense of satisfaction that evil had been defeated.

Giving the audience motivation to hate him would have gone a long way to actual investment in that fight rather than mere (very very cool) acrobatics and fight choreography.
See, I think that works in Maul's favor. He and Qui-Gon are around for such a short time they remain relatively interesting compared to the rest of the prequel characters who were subject to increasing amounts of George Lucas dialogue and direction.

I can sort of see your point. I think Lucas was trying to do with Maul what he did with Fett.

I just don't think he was successful.

But I do agree, when it comes to prequel dialogue, usually less is more. Maybe if he'd just DONE something evil (that made sense for the character) that'd have accomplished the job.

MarkB

Legend
I can sort of see your point. I think Lucas was trying to do with Maul what he did with Fett.

I just don't think he was successful.

But I do agree, when it comes to prequel dialogue, usually less is more. Maybe if he'd just DONE something evil (that made sense for the character) that'd have accomplished the job.
At least he makes up for that in his animated appearances.

Zardnaar

Legend
This. He may have been a blank slate in TPM, and the fact that he was able to survive being cut in half is a bit of a stretch, but thanks to his journey through the Clone Wars cartoon, he ends up having a compelling role to play in Rebels.

He also got some good material in comic books including a Maul clone vs Vader

Well I find myself laid up for a while with some back issues. So I decided that I am
Going to watch a lot of the Star Wars series in chronological order. Not all of it mind you. Six seasons of Clone Wars is a bit much. I’m not quite that laid up. I hope.

So I just finished watching Phantom Menace. I’d seen it years ago and never watched it again- mostly on the feeling that the movie was terrible.

It’s not. It’s nowhere near as bad as critics make it out to be. Lots of action, visually stunning and a decent story. Sure there’s some pretty bad acting, but, it’s not like I watch Star Wars for the acting.

Yup some of the accents and whatnot are definitely pretty cringeworthy these days. But y’know what? Jar Jar isn’t all that bad. Pretty standard goofy Star Wars fare. And hes not actually in all that much of the movie.

Fight scene with Maul is still one of the best lightsaber scenes ever. Music score is fantastic.

Is it the best movie ever? Of course not. But it’s also nowhere near as bad as I remember. I think I bought into the general fandom wankery a bit too much

Interested to see how Attack oftheClones holds up.
Funny thing I was on treadmill at gym the other day and one tvs had phantom menace. I saw the parts around the build up to pod race . Movie is much better with no dialogue and just music in ears

Hussar

Legend
Honestly I think that applies to a lot of Star Wars. Story wise and dialogue it’s not exactly great.

But visually it really is stunning.

I’ve been back to work this week but I’ll be watching ANH very soon. As I recall it’s not without some serious flaws. Very slow and plodding in a lot of places. But six year old me still remembers watching it for the first time in a drive in with my father and brother and being absolutely taken in.

Remove ads