Star Wars Rewatch

I realized that I kinda skipped over Rebels in my rewatch and D+ offered a list of Mandalorian episodes. So watched those last night.

Again, I am surprised how much better Star Wars works in serial format. The original series is probably so strong because they are just so much more focused. I think the prequels suffer from trying to introduce far too much stuff in too short of a time.

Probably why I really liked Rogue One. Very focused story that doesn’t try to introduce a whole bunch of largely superfluous stuff.
Learning from this thread how much the stuff that wasn't told until later makes the whole thing better (eventually and with quality control).
I still feel the initial jolt of the prequels messing with the originals.
But, yeah... Darth Maul's backstory, now that I know it, might make Phantom Menace better for me.

Zardnaar

Legend
I realized that I kinda skipped over Rebels in my rewatch and D+ offered a list of Mandalorian episodes. So watched those last night.

Again, I am surprised how much better Star Wars works in serial format. The original series is probably so strong because they are just so much more focused. I think the prequels suffer from trying to introduce far too much stuff in too short of a time.

Probably why I really liked Rogue One. Very focused story that doesn’t try to introduce a whole bunch of largely superfluous stuff.

This is the way. I think either can work you just need good writing/show runners.

Filoni seems to get Star Wars though. He's not perfect but batting above average.

Star Wars works as movie, TV, game, comic, books etc. The best stories have been in all of them.

Hussar

Legend
This is the way. I think either can work you just need good writing/show runners.

Filoni seems to get Star Wars though. He's not perfect but batting above average.

Star Wars works as movie, TV, game, comic, books etc. The best stories have been in all of them.
Sure, I'd agree with that. Like I said, Rogue One is probably one of my favorite SW movies. It's entirely possible to tell a REALLY good story in the SW universe. I think that the main problem with the Prequels is that they suffered from the unbelievable mountain of lore that had grown up around SW and kept trying to cram all that into a 2 hour movie. Disney ejecting the Extended Universe is probably the best solution that SW has had.

Again, it so depends on the story that they are trying to tell. The original Trilogy works so well because it's such a tight story. You've really only got three characters that have most of the lines in the movie. Sure, there's some others, but, by and large, it's Han, Luke and/or Leia in every scene other than a couple with Vader.

The Prequels just had too many characters. Jedi Council, Obi-wan and Anakin and Padme (what does it say about my computer that it keeps autocorrecting that to paddle :erm: ), the endless string of bad guys, it just never ends. And, the less said of the whole romance plot line, probably the better.

I mean, the death of Kanan Jarrus in Rebels is far more impactful that the death of Padme.

Zardnaar

Legend
Sure, I'd agree with that. Like I said, Rogue One is probably one of my favorite SW movies. It's entirely possible to tell a REALLY good story in the SW universe. I think that the main problem with the Prequels is that they suffered from the unbelievable mountain of lore that had grown up around SW and kept trying to cram all that into a 2 hour movie. Disney ejecting the Extended Universe is probably the best solution that SW has had.

Again, it so depends on the story that they are trying to tell. The original Trilogy works so well because it's such a tight story. You've really only got three characters that have most of the lines in the movie. Sure, there's some others, but, by and large, it's Han, Luke and/or Leia in every scene other than a couple with Vader.

The Prequels just had too many characters. Jedi Council, Obi-wan and Anakin and Padme (what does it say about my computer that it keeps autocorrecting that to paddle :erm: ), the endless string of bad guys, it just never ends. And, the less said of the whole romance plot line, probably the better.

I mean, the death of Kanan Jarrus in Rebels is far more impactful that the death of Padme.

Death of Kanan that one hurt.

Rebels overall is one of the best star wars stories that's been broadcast/streamed though and all of the main cast rock. Ezras probably the weakest character he's still decent/good IMHO. I just like the others more.

Remove ads