Star Wars RPG Beta: Are they serious?

Greg K

Legend
FFG has announced the release of their beta playtest. To participate, you have to purchase the $30 playtest book. Pretty lame FFG! At least, Pathfinder provided a free downloadable version.
(edit: Someone just told me that Lucas Arts is refusing the release of a free pdf. Still pretty lame).

The planned release format-splitting the Rebellion era into three separate games that be used together- sounds to me like a money grab as well

I, really, wish another company could have afforded the rights

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Fantasy Flight Games [Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta - Products] - Leading publisher of board, card, and roleplaying games.

Link for those curious.

Initial response -- what the??

Second thought -- it doesn't matter. If the final game turns out to be a lemon, I have plenty of star wars saga edition to tide me over until a better version comes along. It's not like RPGs or the star wars property are going to disappear or languish because someone screwed up the license. Woe is me! Star wars rpg is terrible! Star wars will die! ;)

Third thought -- oh, crap, it uses some kind of WFRP 3rd edition style custom dice mechanics. I'll bet it uses power cards and sockets too. Ugh -- that game mechanic is just NOT my cup of tea. On the other hand, they have some super fine awesome for this product line -- I haven't seen better art in a star wars rpg product yet. Art's not enough to make me out up with custom dice mechanics though.

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
I have a complete set of Star Wars: Saga Edition books and 1,000+ WotC Star Wars minis. I'm good, thanks.

Rebellion era re-tread is not what I am interested in playing. Pass.

As a fan of WHFRP3E I am interested in this, the custom dice rock. First time I have been interested in a SW RPG. I like the idea of splitting up the grim and gritty frontier stuff from the super duper Jedis. Odd idea for no free PDF of the BETA but you are going to have to charge for a book - they'll make money on this and sell loads.
Not that I would buy it

possum

First Post
I have a complete set of Star Wars: Saga Edition books and 1,000+ WotC Star Wars minis. I'm good, thanks.

Rebellion era re-tread is not what I am interested in playing. Pass.

Agreed. The Rebellion era may be the most well known of the eras, but other than the WEG stuff, we haven't gotten a whole lot of RPG info on the New Republic era. Then again, not a ton of NR novels have come out since then. We're still missing half of the NJO, the entirety of the Early Legacy period and about 1/4 of the Legacy comics. We're also missing the entirety of the Sith War, including the Knight Errant stuff, and about last 1/4 of the KOTOR comics series to be covered.

There's also the fact that with the cartoon series, the Clone Wars era is very hot. That would have been my personal choice on the default starting era.

Dire Bare

Legend
Is the paid beta, or tripartite rpg line lame? No. It may not be to your tastes, but the hyperbole isn't needed.

As stated above, you can't offer a free Star Wars rpg beta, because Lucasfilm don't play that way. And I'm fine with that. While some may balk at paying for beta access to a new game, which is cool, others will happily pay for early access. Happens all the time with video games. If you don't like the idea, then simply wait for the full release.

FFG appears to be formatting this new Star Wars rpg in the same way they do their Warhammer 40K rpg, which has proven very popular and is of very high quality. In fact, it's pretty much the same idea that White Wolf has used for decades for their World of Darkness games. It's worked well for White Wolf, FFG, and their fans in the past, it will work will for the new Star Wars RPG.

The three Star Wars game lines will likely be a lot more compatible with each other than the older WoD or W40K games are, and likely you could simply pick one of the three for your "main" game, and view the other lines as optional sourcebooks for "your" game. In practical terms, it won't be all that different than one main rulebook with many splats. Personally, I think it will work better as each game line seems to concentrate on a particular style of play.

The biggest problem I see for the new game is what others have already mentioned upthread. If you have a fairly complete WEG collection and love it, then why buy a new game that will retread the same material? Or, likewise, if you have a fairly complete d20 and/or d20 "Saga" collection, why bother with the new game? So far, outside of the rules possibly, the game doesn't seem to explore new ground.

I have no doubt that FFG will publish a fun and high quality Star Wars rpg that will win its own fans and also sell to collectors. But I probably won't be buying it, as my d20/Saga collection covers the universe pretty well with a rules system I'm comfortable with and enjoy.

thewok

First Post
(edit: Someone just told me that Lucas Arts is refusing the release of a free pdf. Still pretty lame).
That seems strange. Unless your source is someone within FFG or Lucasfilm Licensing, I'd take that with a grain of salt. FFG already has bought the license. I would think it's up to them whether they want to cut into their own profits or not by releasing a free beta test.

Of course, Lucasfilm may have a clause that gives them residual profits, and that also makes sense, looking at how WotC priced the Star Wars books compared to their D&D line. So, I suppose that a free beta test would reduce Lucasfilm's potential profit, as well. In that case, I could see Lucasfilm not wanting free stuff just thrown out there.

Part of me is tempted to pick this up, so long as I'd also get the release copy when it's printed as part of the price (or $30 off the release package if the thing's going to come with special dice and such). I'm really intrigued as to what they've done. I've not played the Warhammer thing, as the universe doesn't really appeal to me outside of RTS games.

The rest of me is satisfied with Saga Edition. For my money, it's the best D20 derivative I've played.

Anyway, I'll be debating with myself for a while here. Carry on.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Yeah...I really don't see any Nerd Rage in this thread at all. Unless people who don't agree with your view counts as nerd rage then well yeah I guess.

I paid for the Pathfinder Alpha rules when they put them out but there was an option for a free download as well.

This I will be taking a serious pass on. I know that FFG probably has to make their money back after shelling out for the license but not outta my wallet.

Remove ads