Star Wars & Savage Worlds

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I've been thinking about running a Star Wars game set in the Dark Times between the third movie and A New Hope. This is prior to the formal creation of the Rebel Alliance and is also the time of The Force Unleashed multimedia product line.

I have all the SAGA and d20 books but I'm not really in the mood for going back to d20 levels of DM preparation so I am looking for something - to borrow a certain tagline - fast, fun, and furious. Would anyone here recommend Savage Worlds for running Star Wars? Does anyone have an experience of, and thus advice for, doing so?

innerdude

Legend
It's funny you bring this up, @Scrivener of Doom.

I've been meaning to run a Savage Star Wars campaign for oh, maybe 4 years now and have never gotten around to it, so I don't have any direct experience with it.......

But everything else I've done with the system so far (classic fantasy, modern zombie apocalypse, near-future cyberpunk) leads me to believe that Savage Worlds would make a fantastic foundation for a Star Wars campaign.

In fact, if you're wanting more of an "Edge of the Empire" / Smuggler style game, Savage Worlds will be freaking brilliant right out of the gate.

There's really only two things I could foresee being a bit of work up front:

1. If you want to do lots of spaceship combat. You'll need to sit down and come up with specific vehicle stats for most of the common "stuff"---an X-wing, a landspeeder, a speederbike, a TIE fighter, a Corellian freighter, etc. I also don't have any idea the best way to do "dogfights" with Savage Worlds Deluxe. Would it work as a simple "chase" scene? For resources, check out the fan-made Star Wars Conversion, and the PEG supplement Vehicle Conversion Toolkit.
  2. If you're wanting to do Jedi-based scenarios. Really this just means tweaking an "Arcane Background: Force User" and tailoring the power point structure and power "trappings" to suit your taste. Frankly this is probably the easier of the two to do, since most of the Jedi force powers are pretty well defined in the fiction in various sources. If you don't want Jedi to become super powerful right away, the easiest way is to make "leveling up" Jedi powers take multiple advances.

Other than that, though, really the only "must have" other than the core rules is the Sci-Fi companion. If you have the time and budget, check out both the Slipstream Savage Campaign setting and The Last Parsec. Slipstream is more "Buck Rogers" than Star Wars per se, but full of interesting ideas to mine. The Last Parsec contains lots of interesting adventure ideas and a few variant rules not contained in the Sci-Fi companion. And for stuff like hacking, droids, cyborgs, etc., I highly, highly recommend Interface Zero 2.0. But really just the core + sci-fi companion, plus the widely available free material should be more than enough to get you started.

TL;DR -- If you're willing to do the work up front for vehicles & starfighters, and set up the "Force User" baseline, you'll have a fun, fast, flexible, and very robust baseline for creating Star Wars adventures of all kinds.

Last edited:

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Great reply, [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION]: thanks! :)

I must admit, one of the reasons I was interested was because the Sci-Fi Companion turned out to be such a great book. I also have Slipstream and - like you! :) - realised how much of a match it would be for Star Wars. Even the psionics rules might make for enough of a Force system to suit our group.

Those are good points about space combat as well, and things that I have also been thinking about. If I do it, I will reskin as much as possible from the sources I have but clearly I am going to have to think about it as you have pointed out.

Anyway, hopefully we'll flush out some people who have already done it! :)

innerdude

Legend
Have you asked over on the PEG forums? You'll probably get better replies, though [MENTION=6700109]Zadmar[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26651]amerigoV[/MENTION] might have something to throw into the ring as well.......

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Have you asked over on the PEG forums? You'll probably get better replies

Please do not sent EN World members elsewhere when they start a conversation here. You are welcome to discuss the thread topic. Your earlier reply was very useful, so thank you for that.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Have you asked over on the PEG forums? You'll probably get better replies, though [MENTION=6700109]Zadmar[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26651]amerigoV[/MENTION] might have something to throw into the ring as well.......

I'm actually blocked from accessing from the PEG forums. It's something to do with a blanket ban of my Third World ISP and nothing related to me personally (as I am not even a member).

I've also been meaning to do a proper search of these boards for past advice on the same topic as I am sure it has come up before. However, in view of the new forum, I thought I would also start a new thread rather than just delve into the entrails of the past.

Please do not sent EN World members elsewhere when they start a conversation here. You are welcome to discuss the thread topic. Your earlier reply was very useful, so thank you for that.

Wow, that's petty. He was just being helpful... and I have been here since Eric's very first board so I will keep coming back.

Remove ads