[Star Wars] Somebody bought the license

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Hrrm.
A company that handles RPG's, mini's and possibly ccg's.
Based on the above information I think we can rule out:
Wizards. (just left the license, unlikely to repurchase)
Games Workshop (above info seems it would rule them out)
Paizo (I'm not aware of any mini line that they have)
Steve Jackson Games ( I don't think they do minis, but they do have the ccg capabilities)
Mongoose (lost a long shot bid)
DP9 - although I'd love to see what they could do, they have enough work on their own products to do, mini and RPG
White Wolf???

Who does this leave that can handle in some form all three criteria?

pawsplay

Hero
The problem is that SWSE is so comprehensive and *recent* I can't think of a recent I'd want to shell out anything to re-buy what I already have.

I don't understand why any company would want to do Star Wars in an over-saturated market like this one. There is so much stuff out there that has been covered and re-covered.

On the other hand, consider the perspective of someone who thought SWSE was basically a failure. You are probably not the target audience. The fact that WotC was willing to give up the license suggests that many people do not share your perspective on SWSE's position in the canon of Star Wars rpgs.

JeffB

Legend
On the other hand, consider the perspective of someone who thought SWSE was basically a failure.

Or those like me who just did not like the D20 treatment to the property. After the first edition half baked verison, and then the revised mega crunch version, I'd had enough. I never even had the desire to purchase the SAGA book-despite Rodneys involvement in the product line (having been a big fan of SWRPG network)

I'm totally up for a new SW RPG and ready to throw some cash around AS LONG AS its not D20 (or that level of crunch/complexity). I'd like to see a leaner cleaner system- about WEG D6 complexity, but obviously dealing with the issues that game had.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I would think that FFG is the only company that would have the money to work a license like this. That's exciting for me, I only hope that whoever does get it is able to do something different than what we've seen before. As a number of folks have said, the WotC product line is very recent.

I'd love to see a series of FFG boardgames based on the different eras... that would please me quite a bit. We'll have to see, I suppose.

--Steve

DragonLancer

Adventurer
The only one I can think of would be FFG and would expect them to do a better job of it than WotC did. I just don't think I'm interested enough to buy a whole new Star Wars RPG again.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
The problem is that SWSE is so comprehensive and *recent* I can't think of a recent I'd want to shell out anything to re-buy what I already have.

I don't understand why any company would want to do Star Wars in an over-saturated market like this one. There is so much stuff out there that has been covered and re-covered.

Me too, I rather like Saga, it's where I learned to DM and it's still the favourite system that I run.

possum

First Post
Or those like me who just did not like the D20 treatment to the property. After the first edition half baked verison, and then the revised mega crunch version, I'd had enough. I never even had the desire to purchase the SAGA book-despite Rodneys involvement in the product line (having been a big fan of SWRPG network)

I'm totally up for a new SW RPG and ready to throw some cash around AS LONG AS its not D20 (or that level of crunch/complexity). I'd like to see a leaner cleaner system- about WEG D6 complexity, but obviously dealing with the issues that game had.

Well, there's also another group that will buy it, no matter who holds the license: the canon junkies. They're not that big in number, and may not like the system, but they'll buy to find out the latest bit of canon information in their favorite sci-fi franchise.

I'll give it a try, personally, but I do think that it'll be difficult to beat Saga Edition.

Remove ads