• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good. I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team. Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There is no standard of story telling. And serial stories are hardly a new thing. Just look at the LotR movies for a modem example - or almost any TV show.

And that's without even bringing up the idea that Star Wars itself was a big homage to (or pastiche of) movie serials.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, Kenobi's death had no consequence whatsoever. It was only there because (like Ford), Alec Guinness wanted out.

Not true. Guinness wasn't happy with the film, no, but Lucas has gone on record as deciding Obi Wan died separate from Guiness thinking the dialogue was hackneyed :) It is kind of required for the Hero to come to the fore, that the old mentor must get out of the way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not true.

True.

"Alec disliked his role as "Obi-Wan Kenobi" in the Star Wars movies, and even claimed that he persuaded George Lucas to kill off the character as a way to limit his involvement in the films. He also claimed to have thrown away all of his Star Wars-related fan mail unopened."

http://www.tv.com/people/alec-guinness/trivia/

Well, as true as we can know. He says one thing and Lucas says another. He certainly claimed that was the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

He *claimed* it. However, Lucas had had the idea before Guinness was on board, and had been waffling over it:

"In the end, the answer to the question of who came up with the idea to kill Obi-Wan in the first Star Wars film, originated with creator George Lucas. The script underwent several revisions in which the Jedi had a more significant role, however, by the fourth draft — dated January 15, 1976 — it had been decided that the evil Darth Vader killed Obi-Wan Kenobi.

According to Comic Book Resources, even as Alec Guinness was brought on board, George Lucas wasn’t sure what Obi-Wan’s fate would be. Once again, the British actor wrote on his diary.

“Irritated by Lucas saying he hadn’t made up his mind whether to kill off my part or not. A bit late for such decisions. And Harrison Ford referring to me as Mother Superior didn’t help.”

Alec Guinness seems to contradict himself when he expresses how angry he is about being killed off, but we can take his complaint as just frustration with Lucas’ indecision regarding whether Obi-Wan Kenobi lived or died."

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1995711/wa...s-sir-alec-guinness-idea/#FIRkWE7SVcFxQpYT.99

dd.stevenson

Super KY
There is no standard of story telling.
I'm not sure there's much of a conversation to be had here.

Unless you're objecting to the word "standard"? If "norm," or some other word/phrase would work better for you, please substitute it and we can continue where we left off.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not sure there's much of a conversation to be had here.

Unless you're objecting to the word "standard"? If "norm," or some other word/phrase would work better for you, please substitute it and we can continue where we left off.

No, I'm not objecting to the word (yes, I know how annoying that would be). I'm disagreeing with the very concept that there is a standard/norm/right way//default/whatever of any kind. Storytelling is done in many, many different ways by different people, and it changes constantly. The idea that a film has to be self-contained is nothing more than a personal preference, and not one that I share.

And if there *was* a standard, I'd say that the looking-like-going-to-be-the-most-successful-film-ever has as good a claim to setting it as anyone else.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
He *claimed* it. However, Lucas had had the idea before Guinness was on board, and had been waffling over it:

I don't think the latter fact contradicts the former. The claim isn't that he had the idea; it's that he wanted it to happen. From the sounds of those quotes, it looks like he was pushing for it. I dunno man; when we have an actor make a claim about something he did, and no direct contradiction, I'm inclined to take him at his word absent a fairly strong level of proof otherwise. Just like the Rowling thread, I guess.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
No, I'm not objecting to the word (yes, I know how annoying that would be). I'm disagreeing with the very concept that there is a standard/norm/right way//default/whatever of any kind. Storytelling is done in many, many different ways by different people, and it changes constantly. The idea that a film has to be self-contained is nothing more than a personal preference, and not one that I share.

And if there *was* a standard, I'd say that the looking-like-going-to-be-the-most-successful-film-ever has as good a claim to setting it as anyone else.

Fair enough, though I think you're outspoken on the second sentence and I would bet an awful lot of money against you being correct on the last sentence.

Either way, my wife is threatening me with hasty and severe bodily harm if I continue to spend Christmas Eve arguing about star wars on the internet.

Merry Christmas! :)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Eh? What romance? It was made pretty clear there is no romance, IMO. Their theme is friendship and loyalty.

Nah, they definitely set it up for there to be a romance. It's possible there won't be one, but they clearly established Finn as being interested, and there are multiple points between them where chemistry indicates possible future romance.

It's a very minor point in comparison to leaving us to guess so much about the protagonist's motivations, but one that bothered me nonetheless.

What guessing? When and where are her motivations other than crystal clear?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads