• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars, Star Trek, and Gaming

A gentle correction in another thread got me thinking: why does it seem like in gaming there are a lot more Star Wars-based games (video games, RPGs, other tabletop games) than Star Trek-based games?

This is totally unscientific -- I have no idea the size of the respective fanbases, though it does seem to me that Star Wars has been the more heavily merchandised property. Is it as simple as licensing and willingness to extend to game genres?

It certainly seems to me that Star Trek has more media to mine. Star Wars has what, ten movies now, about three animated series, and some made-for-TV dreck; Star Trek has 5-6 TV series spanning multiple seasons, and animated series, plus at least as many movies (I've honestly lost count). Both have had lots of spin-off novels, fandom, conventions, etc. But when I compare gaming ... about two Trek RPG interations vs four for Wars, Star Fleet Battles and Attack Wing certainly, but a lot more SW miniatures games, lots more other SW products and especially the Lucasfilm game lines.

All else equal, is there something about Star Wars that lends itself more readily to gaming than Star Trek?

(This all could just be confirmation bias on my part -- though I'm a fan of both, my own personal nerddom leans less Trekkie and more Warsie. Warrior? Wart? What do you call a Star Wars nerd, anyway?)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know nothing of the comparative size of each franchise, and I’m a big Trek fan, but I feel like Star Wars is much, much bigger than Star Trek. A new Star Wars movie is a much bigger event than a new Star Trek movie (though that may well change once they start churning them out).

There’s definitely ,ore Star Wars toys in general than Trek. Is there a Lego Enterprise? You’re right in that’s it’s much more heavily merchandised. Historically, merchandising has always been a massive part of Star Wars’ identity. While there are Trek toys and models, it’s not in the same league.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
My take is that Star Wars is Space Opera, and focuses on specific heroes changing the universe.

Star Trek, while having heroes, often seems like those heroes only have local influence and it's the groups that have the power.

Yes, you have the Rebel Alliance, but it's rag-tag - if it didn't have individual heroes it wouldn't be so effective, while the Federation would be hit for losing any of it's famous crews and captains but would continue on. Even the Empire fragments when Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader are lost to them.

So for RPGs and video games, where you're playing a specific individual, the Space Opera is a more common fit. When Star Trek does it, you need to bend the universe to get starting captains (RPGs, Star Trek Online), or just play as whole ships (many ST video and strategy games).

Not saying you can't play ST, but it's a narrower niche.

delericho

Legend
Imho, because 'Star Wars' is basically just 'Fantasy in Space'.
Star Trek also feels a lot more restrictive, since all PCs have to belong to the Star Fleet.

One reason all of the Trek series* take place right on the frontier of known space (whether because it's on a "five year mission", an outpost right by a newly-discovered wormhole, or because Voyager has been dragged into a whole other quadrant) is precisely to reduce the impact of Starfleet - both in that the heroes can't rely on the fleet to come back them up, and also in that the fleet can't just impose their morality on the crew. If Kirk wants to impregnate alien cultures with his influence, there's nobody around to stop him.

* I should note that I haven't seen Discovery, so that might be an exception.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Star Trek also feels a lot more restrictive, since all PCs have to belong to the Star Fleet.

Given that many of the characters on DS9 and Voyager were not Star Fleet, there's a misconception there.

Kind of like saying that it isn't Star Wars unless there are Jedi PCs. And then considering Solo.

Janx

Hero
side note on ST vs. SW games. Both Star Wars and Star Trek have a space battle game licensed from Fantasy Flight (Star Trek Attack Wing and Star Wars Miniatures I think it's called).

Nobody plays STAW, you can't find figures or players in any FLGS. But you can find SW players and product quite readily.

The rules are mostly the same. One problem I see with that is that Star Trek isn't dog-fighting in space. But the game is. Kind of misses the point, and misses the market. While I have STAW, it's not what the market is looking for.

Nagol

Unimportant
Given that many of the characters on DS9 and Voyager were not Star Fleet, there's a misconception there.

Kind of like saying that it isn't Star Wars unless there are Jedi PCs. And then considering Solo.

Even when not officially part of Starfleet, the characters still needed to respect and adhere to the hierarchy.

My best guess is the stronger organizational structure of Star Trek is a disincentive compared to the more free-wheeling style offered by Star Wars. Many players make pretty poor managers; many players balk at taking orders from another player. It's not a good mix.

If Star Trek were to have a few media properties working around the edges of Starfleet -- something like Solo or Firefly -- then I would expect the universe to see better traction in the RPG market.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The rules are mostly the same.

Well, that's a problem in and of itself. If the rules are mostly the same, why have both games? It would be like owning several Monopoly sets. Why bother?

The fact that Star Wars largely portrays combat as one-person dogfights with capital ship support (which is just perfect for a minis game) while Trek typically portrays it as two capital ships slugging it out toe to toe is also relevant. Trek starship combat is actually good for an RPG, as it is complete in only a couple of exchanges, and you get on with the the character focus. It is less appealing as a starship tactical battle game, though.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads