Star Wars: The Acolyte starts June 4

Zardnaar

Legend
To be fair, a whip lightsaber is not any more ridiculous than anything else in Star Wars.

I don't mind lightsaber variants over the years. It's more how they're implemented.

Over the top force powers in live action and blowing up stars is a bit much using the force/superweapons.

Better have a damn good explanation or story.

Reynard

Legend
I don't mind lightsaber variants over the years. It's more how they're implemented.

Over the top force powers in live action and blowing up stars is a bit much using the force/superweapons.

Star Wars is whatever the put on screen. If it means Vader can pull a ship from the sky, he can pull a ship from the sky. Best learn to embrace the quantum nature of Force Powers.

Reynard

Legend
Why not? Gandalf lives in a world where Good and Evil are clearly defined things.

"Oh, but he's upper management, so the rules don't apply to him" doesn't fit with the morality of the rest of the setting.
Important note: at least at the time The Lord of the Rings came out, Orcs did not have souls as far as Tolkien was concerned. Gollum clearly did. there's a difference. Tolkien's letters indicate that he changed his mind a number of times later in life regarding ensouled Orcs, but at the time they were malevolent entities no different (free will wise) than balrogs.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Important note: at least at the time The Lord of the Rings came out, Orcs did not have souls as far as Tolkien was concerned. Gollum clearly did. there's a difference. Tolkien's letters indicate that he changed his mind a number of times later in life regarding ensouled Orcs, but at the time they were malevolent entities no different (free will wise) than balrogs.
Yep.

My objection isn't over his behavior, but simply that we have to measure him by a different set of standards. If anything, istari should be held to a higher standard, rather than a lower one.

Reynard

Legend
Yep.

My objection isn't over his behavior, but simply that we have to measure him by a different set of standards. If anything, istari should be held to a higher standard, rather than a lower one.
The humanity Gandalf displays, both in the novel and in the films, and Saruman's ambitions make it very difficult to understand what the Wizards were supposed to be. I know they are Istari, and effectively angels, but they are so very human. We even see one fall. Where do we place them, morally?

Dire Bare

Legend
The humanity Gandalf displays, both in the novel and in the films, and Saruman's ambitions make it very difficult to understand what the Wizards were supposed to be. I know they are Istari, and effectively angels, but they are so very human. We even see one fall. Where do we place them, morally?
Man, even in mythology, angels fall. There's a really famous one who fell, what's his name . . . .

Dire Bare

Legend

Have you played any of the video games? Read any of the novels or comics?

Over-the-top force powers are not the domain of live-action Star Wars. Not comparitively.

Remove ads