[Stars Without Number] Hard Light OOC

Songdragon

Explorer
[sblock=Previous Character Submission]If there is still room, I would not mind join your group. I have been looking at the thread for a bit now, but had computer issues (lots of BSOD and then a reformat) before I could look at the material and see to it.

Idea has it stands... Ava Varaun (Expert - Noble/Criminal)

I guess I will start with some rolls.

Hmmmm... while nice at some points... my word... Even moving points around leaves a lot to be desired. If given the chance, I will take a reroll.

Str 13 (0) (moved 3 points to Wis)
Int 13 (0)
Wis 6 (-1) (added 3 points from Str)
Dex 7 (-1)
Con 9 (0)
Cha 15 (+1)

and... 1 hit point!

Skills: Business +0, Combat/Primitive +1, Culture/Criminal +0, Culture/World +0, Gambling +0, Leadership +0, Perception +0, Persuade +1, Security +0, Stealth +0

( I am tempted to go Adventure Expert and take similar skills to the Criminal with a few differences: athletics, combat/unarmed, computer, gambling, perception, security. Any thoughts from others?)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Mara Shvedova
from Planet Smolensk

STR: 7 -1
INT: 11
WIS: 12
DEX: 11
CON: 14 +1
CHA: 10

Class: Psychic
Special: Psychic Powers

Background: Urchin
Training: Rogue Psychic
Combat/Any - Projectile Weapons :0
Culture/World :1
Culture/Criminal :0
Stealth :1
Survival :0
Persuade :0

Primary Discipline - Telekinesis
Remote Manipulation
Sidestep

Homeworld - Smolensk
Breathable Mix
Cold
Immiscible biosphere
Tech Level 3
Pretech Cultists
Zombies

EDIT: Wow, wonder where an urchin got all that money...

Edit 2:
Equipment: 610credit remaining.
Knife - 5
Semi-automatic Pistol - 75
10x Glowbug - 50
Pressure Tent - 100
6x Power Cell A - 60

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
[MENTION=23494]Songdragon[/MENTION]: Don't forget you can change one of your prime attributes to 14.

The characters look okay to me. If y'all want to go through the world creation tables and roll up a homeworld for your PC, please do so. Post the results, et cetera. I think it's fair to away 100 XP for each PC homeworld thus generated. :)

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
You might have missed mine, since I didn't have the prose descript typed yet.

Homeworld - Smolensk
Breathable Mix
Cold
Immiscible biosphere
Tech Level 3
Pretech Cultists
Zombies

The soviet planet Smolensk was colonized as launch site for strategic purposes. Barely habitable with a harsh yet breathable atmosphere, most of the globe simply too cold for human survival only the tropics can sustain life.
To add insult to injury, it was quickly discovered that the native biosphere was incompatible with earth life. The planet was never intended as a long-term colony, but when the world was cut off and lost. And Pre- and even Post-tech was lost. They did what they had to do to survive.

Since this time genetic engineering have created food sources that can survival the toxic planet, however they nutritional value is lowered leaving the population weak.

Further gen-engineering was banned after experimentation with native life created a parasitic mold that brings the dead to a shambling simulation of life with horrifying aggression.

The few remaining bits of Pretech are obsessed over and worshiped by illegal cultists.

Contact with the planet is rare and tightly regulated by the local government, to prevent the idea of defection spreading within the populous.

(Basically this is planet USSR, with the weather of Siberia, and the foreign relations of East Berlin. and yes I random rolled that think, just came out awesome story-wise, though bad place to live.)

Songdragon

Explorer
[sblock=Previous Character Submission]

Ava Varaun (of Tlani VI)
(Image of Ava)
Class: Expert 1
Hit Points: 4
Armor Class: 9

Str 10 (+0)
Int 7 (-1)
Wis 9 (+0)
Dex 11 (+0)
Con 9 (+0)
Cha 14 (+1)

Attack Bonus +0
Physical Effect Save 16
Mental Effect Save 15
Evasion Save 12
Tech Save 11
Luck Save 14

Attacks
Unarmed +0 (1d2)
Kinesis Wraps +0 (1d2+2)

Class Ability: Like A Charm
Once per hour, the expert can reroll a failed skill check. The second roll must be used even if worse than the fi rst.

Background: Con Artist
Skills: Culture/Criminal, Culture/World, Persuade, Stealth

Expert Training Package: Adventuring Expert
Skills: Athletics, Combat (Unarmed), Computer, Gambling, Perception, Security

Skills: Athletics +0, Combat (Unarmed) +0, Computer +0, Culture/Criminal +0, Culture/World +0 Gambling +0, Perception +0, Persuade +0 Security +0, Stealth +0

Starting Equipment: 600 credits
Kinesis Wraps (100 cr / 1)
Backpack (50 cr /0 )
Glowbug (5) (25 cr / 0)
Rope (40m) (40 cr / 1)
Telescoping pole (10 cr /1)
Low-light goggles (200 cr / 1)
Rations (3 days) (15 cr / 3)
Compad (100 cr / 0)
Type A cells (10 cr / 1)
Lazarus patch (30 cr / 1)

[sblock=Background]
Barckground
Ava Varaun was not born with the same name she now has, but it has become the only one she acknowledges. As a young girl Ava grew up rather privileged, her parents are both part of a large supply corporation that has been able to remain neutral and deal with many of the ruling Warlords of Tlani VI. Ava has little contact with her family save through several intermediaries.

Ava first ran into trouble in her late teens. She was along on a corporate junket when she met a man and the two hit it off together. They spent most of the next many weeks together. It was at the end of this time that the resort was raided and everyone was arrested. It turned out that the man she had fallen for was a criminal con artist. As Ava had spent time with him she too was arrested. She claimed her innocence but being caught with a known criminal and having participated in some of his scams, authorities just could not believe it. She was given a long sentence, but through her parents connections she freed seven months later.

Ava came out changed. She was more jaded about how things on Tlani VI, the Warlords were not the protectors and savories of their people, but petty people with power. Even though she offered her job back, she declined and moved on. Much of her new travels had her associating with less reputable beings.
It was not a year later that Ava had been arrested again for fraud. And while she had a small part in the offence, she was punished the same as the others. This time in a local lunar facility she met and became friends with a woman, Eshka. Eshka was imprisoned for a large list of offences, some she did, but others she did not, all as a favor for this warlord or that to keep her out of their hair.

Ava spent only three months in the facility before she became part of an escape plan of several of the prisoners. Ava used her skills at persuasion to distract and acquire minor items that fit into a bigger plan. Having escaped the group of former prisoners rubbed it in by stealing the warden’s starship. The small group made a minor pact to help one another whenever they were able, as they went their own ways.

Ava was caught one of the first ships leaving the Tlani system and ended up on a ship heading to Hard Light system. Hoping to outrun authorities and catch another ship, elsewhere.[/sblock]
[sblock=Tlani VI (World Creation)]
Atmosphere: Invasive, toxic atmosphere
Temperature: Warm
Biosphere: No native biosphere
Population: Millions of inhabitants
Tech level: Tech level 4. Baseline postech.
World Tags: Restrictive Laws & Warlords

Tlani VI is a hellish world with a toxic atmosphere. Prior to the Silence the world, and many of the surrounding planets within the system, were mined for their rich mineral deposits. After the Scream many of the miners and those left within the system retreated into the earth of the deep mines where the atmosphere was kept out naturally. Slowly, over the hundreds of years since those miners literally carved out the world and created an underground civilization.
Tlani VI has been ruled over by the Warlords, those in power who have brought the deep underground cities out of the dark and into the light of the new era. While there is still much that can be mined from Tlani VI itself, most corporations have moved to the systems other planets.

The Tlani system has 11 planets in total, most with no little or no atmosphere. Most are as rich with mineral wealth as Tlani VI once had. With reestablished trade the Tlani people are more than happy to sell ores refined and not and the products they can create to other worlds. In exchange they get goods they are unable to produce and gain a new source and variety of fresh food stuffs.[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Zerith

First Post
I has no dice! :eek:
I use inter webs! here >:D
*starts rolling*

Breatheable mix
Temperate
Engineered biosphere
Tens of thousands of inhabitants
Tech level 4. Baseline postech.

Hmmmm, looks like the people making my character's world knew what they were doing, wait, game designers... why tell me to roll 1d100 if only 60 possibilities? I is disappoint!

so, out of contact police state? ... for being randomly generated it is very cliche... I mean, really? T_T

Last edited:

Songdragon

Explorer
The previous concept was not working for me... so I went with the below. A more Soloish character that I had in mind at first. I guess I should have went with my first idea.

I do not suppose we could start with max hit points for 1st level?

[sblock=Dice Rolls]3d6=9,
3d6=10,
3d6=12,
3d6=13,
3d6=7,
3d6=14

1d6=2,
1d6+4=7
[/sblock]

Cameron Jhal (of Calarn)
(Cameron's Image)
Expert 1
Hit Points 2
AC 9

Str 9 (+0)
Int 14 (+1)
Wis 12 (+0)
Dex 13 (+0)
Con 8 (+0)
Cha 13 (+0)

Attack Bonus +0
Physical Effect Save 16
Mental Effect Save 15
Evasion Save 12
Tech Save 11
Luck Save 14

Attacks
Unarmed -2 (1d2)
Pistol +1 (1d6+1) (12 rounds) 30/100
Shotgun +1 (3d4) (2 rounds) 10/30

Class Ability: Like A Charm
Once per hour, the expert can reroll a failed skill check. The second roll must be used even if worse than the first.

Background: Security Crew
Combat/Any, Culture/Spacer, Security, Tactic

Expert Training Package: Adventuring Expert
Skills: Athletics, Computer, Perception, Persuade, Stealth, Vehicle/Space

Skills: Athletics +0, Combat/Projectile Weaponry +0, Computer +0, Culture/Spacer +0, Perception +0, Persuade +0 Security +0, Stealth +0, Tactics +0, Vehicle/Space +0

Starting Equipment: 700 credits (130 cr remaining)

Shotgun (50 cr/ 1)
Pistol (semi-automatic) (75 cr/ 1) 1d6+1 (12 rounds), 30/100
Backpack (50 cr /0 )
Glowbug (5) (25 cr / 0)
Rope (40m) (40 cr / 1)
Telescoping pole (10 cr /1)
Low-light goggles (200 cr / 1)
Rations (2 days) (10 cr / 1)
Compad (100 cr / 0)
Type A cells (10 cr / 0)
Lazarus patch (30 cr / 1)

Barckground
As a young child Cameron Jhal grew up aboard several transports with his father, Edwin Jhal who was a pilot for hire. Cameron never knew his mother, as his father told him that she had died shortly after his birth in a fire fight between Nalsters (a pretech cult) and the local Theocratic authorities. She just happened to be caught in the unexpected crossfire.

Staying on Calarn, Cameron soon was forced to enrolled in basic schooling where he learned about many supposed religious facts. Tthat is how the boy saw them anyhow. He had more of a knack for getting into trouble then really learning the appropriate lessons. Cameron ran afoul the Vatween (religious police) on a few occasions for some minor offences and the like. Cameron seemed to like his pistols and found more occasions than not to use them.

Cameron found almost any reason to hang about the spaceports as they were a place he felt at home. He would often help out here and there, which earned Cameron a place with a local transport company. He started being a mere laborer, but soon found himself a spot on the crew of one of the ships. After proving his talent and skills he was accepted as one of the guys and was off for more than a few adventures about the system and occasionally outside of it.

On occasion Cameron would do a little freelance work for others, including the local crime syndicate within the Calarn system. He currently owes them a favor, as they were able to get him off on some charges for some illegal goods he was got caught with.

He used to work for Dedrix Transport, owed by Dedrix, a retired alien pilot, but in recent events within the system, he has run across many troubles with the theocary and Nalsters alike, and has had to close down his business. Cameron jumped the nearest transport he could barter his skills for passage and is now currently looking for work and adventure.

[sblock= Calarn (World Creation)]
2d6=3, 2d6=4, 2d6=10, 2d6=9, 2d6=7

Calarn
Atmosphere: Inert gas
Temperature: Cold
Biosphere: Immiscible biosphere
Population: Millions of inhabitants
Tech level: Tech level 4. Baseline postech.
World Tags: Pretech Cultists & Theocracy

Calarn

Calarn has a natural occurring atmosphere of krypton gas. When the first humans arrived within the system they found many domed cities of strange make, all but the largest, Curdal, where abandoned and in a horrid state of disrepair. The inhabited city of Curdal had a strange alien race within. They welcomed these new travelers and were able to see the potential of an alliance with these newcomers.

The aliens had harnessed the planets natural gasses in many uses from energy weaponry to high resolution imagery technologies. While advanced, they were small in number and in a sharing scheme bot sides where able to move forward. Many of the cities were reclaimed and the civilization grew.

Come the Scream and the following Silence, much violence occurred. Calarn had come to rely upon food imports but that seem to end. In the end, some 200 hundred years previous, the alien religious sect claimed power with their Theocracy their Vatween (religious police) restoring order. Civilization came to flourish again and when contact was reestablished many were more than happy to resume trade with the wider galaxy.

Of course, the Nalster came to be some 40 years again, a pretech cult, Led by the human Ned Nalster, came to led others in their anit-tech crusade. The galaxy had fallen and came to a halt once, the advances of these aliens and the new contact with other planets would draw it upon all again. There are many violent clashed between this group and the Vatween today.[/sblock]

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
Jase McMoon's home world:

atmosphere: thin
temperature: temperate
biosphere: no native biosphere
population: millions of inhabitants
tech level: 4. Baseline postech.
tag 1: pilgrimage site
tag 2: psionics fear

Loontoo is a small, rocky planet that is thought to be a former moon of a terrestrial planet that was destroyed in a planetary collision. Legend holds that it is an exact duplicate of the moon which orbits the human planet of origin, though this is somewhat contradicted by its larger size. Only the vast underground caverns which hold the cities are inhabitable.

The prophet known as Cosmic Antenna lived there shortly after the first cities were founded, thousands of years ago. He preached that there are many universes, each of which was created by a different god; no universe contains more than one god, but sometimes gods from other universes interfere with our universe. The creed holds that the god that created our universe is indifferent at best; but by properly attuning oneself to another of the gods, chosen as suits one's personality, one can receive its help and even join it after death, being reincarnated in one of several more pleasant universes. Many pilgrims come to visit the holy sites and learn the techniques taught by the monasteries. Many believers think that the Scream was sent by the god of our universe because psionics somehow offend him, and they fear drawing his wrath by associating themselves with it.

Jase McMoon never put any stock in such beliefs. Instead, he joined the army and concentrated on the tasks at hand and on building his skills. With little action available on Loontoo, he became a mercenary and served on several planets. Having seen more action than he liked on Quarsc, he's hoping that the new assignment proves peaceful.

Last edited:

Remove ads