Stat this up # 1

Cleon

Legend
I just noticed something under the Quills ability

Urdin shroomlings sometimes employ shortspears that deal no damage but can but a creature into a trance.

I think they should have the option to do some damage Probably just 1 point. it makes them sound like they have no offense.

A pixie's Sleep Arrows do no damage, and we'd agreed to model the Trance Quills on those.

We are going to give them a regular weapon (shortspears or spears, I presume).

If you and Freyar would rather give 'em damaging Trance Quills I'd go along with it.

barring that They do have kitty faces so maybe a bite attack?

I'd rather give 'em a weapon.

I do like the 1 + con uses per day. makes them a little different than a myconid.

Yes, that's my preference of the two proposals.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I definitely agree on the shortspears.

I'm not quite sure how the distress spores will work if we have a limited number of uses per day. Maybe it has a duration?

Cleon

Legend
I definitely agree on the shortspears.

Let's see, with Strength 4 a Shroomling does 1d3-3/×3 with a Tiny Spear, or 1d2-3/×2 with a Tiny Shortspear.

That's 1 point of damage either way whether or not it Crits, so it makes no difference apart from weight.

Might as well be a Shortspear, then.

I'm not quite sure how the distress spores will work if we have a limited number of uses per day. Maybe it has a duration?

I was thinking of incorporating some of the text from alarm into the Distress Spores. I'd prefer to limit the uses, and it's simpler if we use the same number-per-day for all of them. Furthermore, I was thinking we might make it an immediate action or swift action instead of a standard action.

e.g.:

Spores (Su?)
Shroomling can produce several different varieties of spores, as described below. Unless otherwise stated, releasing a cloud of spores is a standard action. Each type of spore can be used a number of times per day equal to 1 plus the shroomling's Con modifier (minimum 1). Spores can be released either in a spread or as a ray against a single target, as noted in the individual spore descriptions, the range depends on the type of spore.

Distress: As an immediate action, a shroomling can emit a 40 ft. spread of spores that inform all other shroomlings in range of danger. Distress spores will instantly awaken shroomlings from sleep (normal or magical) but do not otherwise disturb concentration. They will not awaken an unconscious shroomling. If the spore-emitting shroomling is aware of a particular danger, all other shroomling with range are also aware of it. If the spore-emitting shroomling is not flatfooted against an opponent, none of the other shroomlings are. The effects of distress spores only last for 1 round.

Cleon

Legend
That works for me.

Sure that works for me. Do we have any other spores ready?

Updating the Shroomling Working Draft with shortspears and revised spores.

Poison Spores
Goodberry spores
Distress spores

The first two have become "Magic Mushrooms" and "Pesticide" spores in the working draft.

The Magic Mushrooms spores are finished apart from a caster level equivalency, but we haven't started on the Pesticide spores yet.

I was thinking we could have it do nauseated plus damage to Vermin, but just sickened to other living creatures.

Cleon

Legend
How about adding a combat option to the Special Quills? The AD&D pixie had war arrows (that did 1d4+1 damage) and sleep arrows (although what those did is lost in the mists of time ;)).

I'm thinking we could give 'em "Venom Quills" that do poison-like damage.

Remove ads