Stats for Foxwoman

Kalanyr

Explorer
Thanks I may do up the creature anyway and post it when I'm finished since there's no real rush now (probably put it in the Creature Catalogue forum).

Voadam

Legend
They are also in Complete Minions, a pdf product by Bastion Press with 3.5 monster stats. They were in the print Minions Fearsom foes as 3.0 statted monsters.

They are monstrous humanoid shapechangers with sorcerous powers.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Voadam said:
They were in the print Minions Fearsom foes as 3.0 statted monsters.

They are monstrous humanoid shapechangers with sorcerous powers.

??? What page of the print version of Minions are they on?

I must be missing it...

Thanks.

Here's my conversion of the Hu Hsien which originally appeared in the 1e Oriental Adventures written by Gary Gygax, and then in the Kara-Tar MC in 2e. I have never made any test to determine if the CR and LA are correct (which by my estimation is either right on, or too high in the case of the later). I added a little more of the description from Chinese myth, and have campaign info from my very own campaign at the bottom. I've added some explanations in parenthesis to make my campaign information clearer.

Hu Xian (Hu Hsien)

Medium Fey (Shapechanger, Spirit)
Hit Dice: 6d6+6(27)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
AC: 21 (+4 Dex, +4 deflection, +3 natural) touch 18, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/ Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Dagger +7 melee (1d4/19-20)
Full Attack: Dagger +7 melee (1d4/19-20), or bite +7 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/ 5 ft
Special Attacks: Energy Drain, Spell-like abilities, Spells
Special Qualities: Alternate Form, Damage Reduction 10/iron, Darkvision 60 ft, Fire Immunity, Lightning Vulnerability, Resistance to Cold 10, Spell Resistance 21, Spirit’s Grace
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +13, Will +11
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +17, Concentration +10 (+14 combat casting), Diplomacy +15, Disguise +6* (+8 acting), Intimidate +8, Knowledge (arcana) +13, Knowledge (spirits) +13, Move Silently +13, Listen +11, Sense Motive +13, Spellcraft +15, Survival +11
Feats: Combat Casting, Deceitful, Persuasive, Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, pair or coven (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral or evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +6

The true nature of this beautiful woman is finally revealed, hanging from her lower back is the tail of a fox. She smiles mischievously before melting into the shape of a fox.

A Hu Xian is a mischievous and cunning spirit. She’s perhaps the most powerful variety of fox spirits. Hu Xian are exclusively female and are thought to be the progenitors of werefoxes (sometimes known as Hu Li Jing). As a shapechanger she lives between two states, as a fox she has rust coloured or silver fur and can walk on her hind legs and hold items with her paws. As a woman she is exceptionally beautiful with typically long black flowing hair, golden skin and brown eyes. She often wears long robes to hide her foxtail when in humanoid forms.
Many Hu Xian are infamous for being wicked and cruel. They are manipulative and greedy women known for their very ability to drain away the life of men who they’ve seduced. It is said that because of these ways the gods sent out their thunder gods to punish them. Hu Xian are quite afraid of lightning storms because of the thunder gods.
But the Hu Xian aren’t entirely cruel, they do take well to generosity and kindness, and will kindly reward people for such acts. She’s particularly attracted to scholars and other intellectuals and will do a lot to help one she befriends. Because of her benevolence, some people either worship her or petition for her assistance in the form of gifts such as money, jewellery and prayers.
Hu Xian gain their sustenance from draining the vital energy of men who they exploit. Though they do enjoy wine and other spirits, however a drunken Hu Xian reverts to the form of a fox unless she succeeds on a fort save of DC 20. She can speak common, any regional languages from where she resides, the spirit tongue and sylvan.
Combat
Hu Xian generally avoid combat when they can as they are manipulators and not fighters. However they have a variety of special abilities and spells that help them confuse, trick and manipulate opponents. Most Hu Xian prefer spells from the schools of divination, enchantment, and illusion.
Alternate Form (Su): A Hu Xian may assume the form of a fox or a humanoid woman. In fox form her size is small.
Energy Drain (Su): A Hu Xian drains energy from her victims through her company with a willing victim. She drains one level a day from her victim putting her him under the effect of a Suggestion spell urging him to stay with her and to hopelessly love her. The negative level has a fort save DC of 17 to remove and her Suggestion has a will save DC or 17. The save is charisma based.
Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At will – Apparition (OA; DC 16), Charm Monster (in humanoid form only; DC 18), Comprehend Languages, Detect Thoughts (DC 16), Hypnotic Pattern (DC 16), Invisibility, Legend Lore, Polymorph (humanoid form only, no limit on duration), Read Magic, Speak with Animals, Ventriloquism. 1/day – Magic Jar (DC 19), Major Creation, Servant Horde (OA). 3/week – Bestow Greater Curse (BoVD; DC 22) or Limited Wish (only when rewarding another). Caster level 10th, Save DCs are charisma based.
Spells: As an 8th level sorcerer.
Typical sorcerer spells known (6/7/7/6/4; save DC 14 + spell level):
0—Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Resistance, Touch of Fatigue; 1st— Expeditious Retreat, Ray of Enfeeblement Shield, Silent Image, Sleep; 2nd—Entangling Scarf (OA), Mirror Image, Resist Energy; 3rd—Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Major Image; 4th—Phantasmal Killer.
Spirit’s Grace (Su): A Hu Xian adds her charisma modifier as a bonus to all saving throws, and as a deflection bonus to AC (already included in stat-block).
Skills: A Hu Xian gets a +2 racial bonus to Bluff and Disguise checks.
*They get a +10 bonus to disguise checks when polymorphed.

Hu Xian Characters

A Hu Xian’s favoured class is sorcerer. However a few do become bards or rogues.

Hu Xian in Swargamara
The Hu Xian are a reclusive people who reside mainly in the nation of Long Guo {a nation like Qing Dynasty China and the 2nd largest and 2nd most powerful nation in the world} and in Mokuban {a Hengeyokai nation} and Tenyama {fascist Meiji Era Japan}. Most of them keep their true identities secret, and can be found on the outskirts of major cities, where they can pick victims and allies while maintaining a low profile. The most well-known Hu Xian is of course Long Guo’s Fox Empress Hu Lin Hua (female Hu Xian/ rogue 6, sorcerer 4, arcane trickster 10/ CN) and she’s rather open about being a Hu Xian. Hu Lin Hua has a very extravagant court, many lovers and a cult of admirers. Her rule over Long Guo is very lax; she only ever issues a few nation wide official edicts, leaving the nation under the control of various officials, bureaucrats and tribal leaders. She is said to be at least a thousand years old and was the concubine to the last Emperor of Qing Guo.
She had an instrumental role in the formation of Long Guo in forming an alliance between the former nations of Qing Guo {China proper}, Tengrilan {Mongolia}, Tanbei {Tibet}, the remnants of the Old Sillan Empire {Korea}, Wang Liang Guo {a Wang Liang nation}, Jurchuria {Manchuria}, Uzahkistan {Xinjiang Uighar Autonomous Region}, and the Celestial Kobold Nation {a nation of Kobolds descended from Lung Dragons} which became the first nation-states of Long Guo. She has eight daughters who are Hu Xian themselves and the figurehead princesses who reside over the eight original nation-states.

Last edited:

Remove ads