D&D 5E Stealth in 5E

Sir Brennen

Legend
Though there is another one: if you are both Invisible and under the effects of Silence, do you need to make a Stealth check to hide, or are you just automatically hidden? What could give your position away?
The Hiding sidebar addresses this directly:

DnDBasic said:
An invisible creature can’t be seen, so it can always try to hide. Signs of its passage might still be noticed, however, and it still has to stay quiet.

I think gaining Advantage for being Silenced is perfectly reasonable ruling.

In the corner of the corner case, Invisible, Silenced and outdoors with a foot of snow on the ground in daylight might still give you disadvantage trying to sneak around unnoticed in the open.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I posted this elsewhere but I suppose it belongs here as well. Mike Mearl's stealth answer from the Escapist Magazine interview from August 21, 2014.

Interviewer: "Do you have any other examples of what you think of as the DM’s power and responsibility?"

Mike Mealrs: "Our rules for stealth, which may sound like a funny example. But having worked on 3rd and 4th edition, creating a set of rules for hiding from other people and monsters that run without a DM, is crazy. You always end up with a situation where you’re standing right in front of the monster but he can’t see you, because there’s a loophole in the rules."

"So we just came out and said you know what, let the DM decide. We’re going to tell you the mechanic and just say, look DM, does it make sense that a player can hide in this situation? If so, let the player make the check. If not, don’t let him make the check. If maybe, then maybe advantage or disadvantage, that covers the middle ground."

"There is this funny thing that happens, and stealth is a good example of this. If you want to make a rule that is DM-proof, you end up with a rule that when humans try to read it, it just seems really weird. It’s like the old Carl Sagan quote from Cosmos, “If you want to create an apple pie, you must first create the universe.” I just want to make an apple pie, why are you describing how to make a black hole? Because this is way beyond what I need. So the rules just take on this tone where it doesn't seem like what’s actually happening at the table."

"Instead when you rely on the DM, it’s more the human element, and the rules just seem sensible. You can hide, when people can’t see you. Of course, if someone can see me, then how can I hide? It just seems like common sense. Where, when you’re like, use the grid, and here’s the different gradations of cover, it ends up introducing all this jargon. We can take the simplest concept, like trying to hide, and turn it into something which looks completely alien to someone just reading it."

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I just keep in mind the first lesson of how not to be seen.

Not to stand up.

That's also the first lesson on how to not get shot.

Allow me to offer up one of my rules on sneakiness, in case anyone might find it useful. Forget about hidden, unseen, unheard, revealed, successfully stealthed, and what-have-you. The whole thing boils down to awareness:

Awareness is a character’s knowledge of conditions or threats. If a character does not have awareness (or is “unaware”) of a condition or threat, he cannot use an action to respond to it. Awareness is normally gained with a detect skill contest, unless the condition or threat is obvious.
https://modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com/wikis/r504

Can my rogue sneak up on the tiefling emperor? Only if the TE isn't aware of my rogue.

Is my rogue's approach obvious? (this is the subjective part, see r000)
If not, does the TE's detect skill beat my rogue's sneak skill? (this is the objective part)

Though there is another one: if you are both Invisible and under the effects of Silence, do you need to make a Stealth check to hide, or are you just automatically hidden? What could give your position away?

Are you obvious? (When invisible and silenced, probably not)
Does your opponent's perception beat your stealth?
Yes: he probably has disadvantage against you.
No: he's dead meat.

Remove ads