• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sticking w/ 3.5: Any Publishers?

Filcher

First Post
This isn't a 4E hater thread. I'm just curious if any publishers will be releasing 3.5 material after August, or if everyone is throwing in the towel. Are there any 3.5 releases due to ce coming out later this year?

Drowbane

First Post
I imagine this (4e) would be a good time for some of those 3rd party d20 companies to pick up new customers. Its not like the OGL is going to suddenly go "poof"... right?

I'll probably pick up the 4e PHB (haven't really needed a MM since mid-2e) to start some new campaigns with, try it out. But my group has 2-3 3.5 campaigns that aren't going to switch editions...

Bacris

First Post
Filcher said:
Are there any 3.5 releases due to ce coming out later this year?

Given it's almost March and the license for 4E still isn't ready, and only early adopters who pony up the 5 grand get to publish in 2008, I'd expect at least some publishers to continue with 3.5 throughout 2008.

PatrickLawinger

First Post
Filcher said:
This isn't a 4E hater thread. I'm just curious if any publishers will be releasing 3.5 material after August, or if everyone is throwing in the towel. Are there any 3.5 releases due to ce coming out later this year?

As someone posted already, I believe Paizo's next Pathfinder series is going to be 3.5, but they'll probably switch after that.

I would guess that some .pdf publishers might still put out some 3.5 material for some time if it remains profitable. I know a few are going to keep on through this year anyway.

Print publishers pretty much can't. Distributors and retailers aren't taking 3.5/d20 material from anyone. Sure, there might be fans on message boards talking about buying but realistically, you need distribution sales to make any money on books. Without distribution, you'll see very few new 3.5/d20 print books unless the publisher(s) can keep the costs very, very low. Paizo has enough reputation, muscle, and subscriptions (just a guess), to still get 3.5 material into the market.

Companies with their own OGL based properties, or independent games, are focusing on their own product lines (as they should really).

3.5/d20/OGL material is pretty much going to be .pdf, Print-On-Demand, or short print runs based on pre-paid orders. I think you'll still be able to find material to meet your desires, but you'll have to look for it online and you won't see it on the shelves of your local game store (friendly or not). I am guessing you'll be able to find OGL material online 10 years from now if you want it. Otherwise you'll be looking for RLGSLYEN (Really the Last Game System License You'll Ever Need) material in the latest download from AmazYaMicro.com into your neural implant. Wait, maybe that is 20 years from now, I always get my future predictions messed up ...

Patrick

Filcher

First Post
*warms up Gen Con shopping list*

I just read that Code Monkey Games will be publishing Blackmoor material now, with a 3.5 version of City of the Gods due out in August.

And yeah, I totally understand that no retailer in his right mind would use up shelf space for 3.5 material, but we live in the Age of the Internet and my FOGS is just a click away. :)

Last edited:

Napftor

Explorer
For sure, Tricky Owlbear will be publishing 3.5 material through '08. Our first print product, Behind the Spells: Compendium, is in the works so not all 3.5 will be pdf for the year. :)

Mynex

First Post
Filcher said:
*warms up Gen Con shopping list*

I just read that Code Monkey Games will be publishing Blackmoor material now, with a 3.5 version of City of the Gods due out in August.

And yeah, I totally understand that no retailer in his right mind would use up shelf space for 3.5 material, but we live in the Age of the Internet and my FOGS is just a click away. :)

*cough* Code Monkey Publishing... but that's okay, as long as you're excited. :)

Still kind of kicking CotG's about... whether to get it out now or release it at GenCon.

We'll keep on doing some 3.5 stuff, but it'll be pdf... for reasons someone above pointed out, retailers not wanting to carry 3.5 print products because 4.0 is out.

Kind of sad, but hey, it'll make most 3.5 material cheaper then for the end consumer! And you can always print out a pdf you buy at a POD, your own printer, or at a local print shop (Kinko's, OfficeMax, etc).

Remove ads